http://halcyonline.com/2011/qa-nina-kraviz/
nice read, cheers! ;)
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Vinyl only?

Post by patrick bateman »

LouisVee wrote:
zentex wrote: also, i increasingly find a lot of kids who see dj's playing vinyl actually showing them some respect just for the fact of spinning wax. it's not unusual for some youngster coming up to the booth and say something like: "hey man, wtf, you still play vinyl?" and giving that approving nod.
Sometimes people respect me just because I know HOW to mix vinyls... lol!
Often the young kids respect me because I have 2 copies of the same vinyl :shock:
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by roland »

tsankip wrote:
dav.id wrote:interesting point of view by Nina Kravitz :
http://halcyonline.com/2011/qa-nina-kraviz/
nice read, cheers! ;)
great interview i guess.. i mean it definitelly didn't follow the rules of Q+A, but it indeed was a nice read... :D

i totally agree on mixing two vinyls has kind of a live character..
and that you can sync or play on 7 decks with lots of effects but it doesn't get any better than just mixing two discs.. she put that very well..
Dardis
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dardis »

I'm vinyl only as well, but honestly I don't think it makes much difference. The main difference is born out of people's perceptions.

As Kraviz alludes to in that interview, when you play digitally it is assumed that you will use several decks, effects, etc & almost have to re-engineer tracks on the fly. If not you're just using auto-synch & are apparently not doing anything at all. I don't think this is the case at all, a well prepared auto-synched set achieves the same ends as it's vinyl counterpart. Because you don't have to count to four along with the beats on two records however (which becomes second nature to most vinyl djs after a few weeks), it's frowned upon.

As a vinyl dj you also have the luxury of people automatically assigning all credit to you when a quality record is played, despite the fact you had nothing to do with making anything. Some spotter type came over to me once when I was playing & said "wow Las Ramblas, you're such a good dj". It was my opener & I hadn't even mixed one track yet!
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Yeah vinyl for me too. Some CD's when I play own stuff and when I'm not confident with the setup.

Same sorts of experiences as the rest of you with people really. For some reason people seem to class you as real DJ if you play vinyl.

I find it a lot harder to mix vinyl then mixing with CD's. CD's it just locks in for me, but vinyl I have to concentrate.
wax works
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by wax works »

Dardis wrote:I'm vinyl only as well, but honestly I don't think it makes much difference. The main difference is born out of people's perceptions.

As Kraviz alludes to in that interview, when you play digitally it is assumed that you will use several decks, effects, etc & almost have to re-engineer tracks on the fly. If not you're just using auto-synch & are apparently not doing anything at all. I don't think this is the case at all, a well prepared auto-synched set achieves the same ends as it's vinyl counterpart. Because you don't have to count to four along with the beats on two records however (which becomes second nature to most vinyl djs after a few weeks), it's frowned upon.

As a vinyl dj you also have the luxury of people automatically assigning all credit to you when a quality record is played, despite the fact you had nothing to do with making anything. Some spotter type came over to me once when I was playing & said "wow Las Ramblas, you're such a good dj". It was my opener & I hadn't even mixed one track yet!

tbh, I don't think you know what you;re talking about - 1) it doesn't take a few weeks for mixing with vinyl to become second nature, and it aint about counting to 4. 2) regardless of what you play, no set should be well prepared.. the DJ should be prepared, but the set shouldnt. and lets not mention auto sync. 3) why shouldn't a DJ be praised for playing a good track? there's a lot more to playing a good track than playing a good track 4) the guy was probably talking about the DJ before you, or was being sarcastic because you played an 'opener'

As for the main post:
A good DJ is a good DJ regardless of what they use to play, but I think that people have more time for a vinyl DJ than a laptop DJ - especially if you're not already a well known name. Personally I won't bother to download a mix unless it's on vinyl or by a DJ/artist who I am interested in.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

It take exactly 2 months, 6 days and 3 hours to learn to beatmatch vinyls..
tsankip
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tsankip »

vinyl here too.