number of downloads/income from beatport

- ask away
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

youandewan wrote:yeah thanks...it's all clearer now.

It was through symphonicdistribution.
Do different distribution companies have different deals with beatport or do they take the same percentage from everyone?
There can be a bit difference..
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Yep, all deals are different.

For us Beatport takes 40% and then Intergroove takes 20% then we receive the remaining 40%. Ideally we would cut Intergroove out, but they said they won’t continue doing a P+D with us if we do, which obviously means more effort and additional costs.

I still dont understand why you only got £170 though from 850 sales. Do you have a proper statement from Symphonic Distribution?
ferdy
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ferdy »

thats pretty interesting.
some labels do tend to deal with beatport directly, which in turn means more royalites for the artist and the label.

i'll update this thread once i receive my statement. hit #1 on minimal for 2 weeks. top 20 overall for a week and top 100 overall for a more than a month. should be interesting to see whats happening. :)
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

think that 170 pounds isn't so far off actually, if the label deducted mastering and promotional costs etc. Fine example of how difficult it can be to make money from music these days...

Still, 850 is not bad, especially for a relatively unknown artist. But it's better to have a direct deal with Beatport instead of a distributor. Because that can really make the difference between losing money and making a bit of it.

Good distri deal f.e. is Feiyr.com, they only deduct very little and they also put out their own compilations, making a licensing almost a certainty. And license deal= extra dineros :)

Anyway, if we would sell 850 pieces per release I'd be very happy indeed :)

Hard knock life anno 2009. :|
CatDog
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Question

Post by CatDog »

I'm in a distributor (Symphonic Distribution) and when the contract runs out how do I access the beatport / base? beatport labels that are on when they leave their distributors can continue to access beatport / baseware?
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

nevermind.....
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Question

Post by patrick bateman »

CatDog wrote:I'm in a distributor (Symphonic Distribution) and when the contract runs out how do I access the beatport / base? beatport labels that are on when they leave their distributors can continue to access beatport / baseware?
My guess is, that they usually take down the labels that leave Beatport and then do final statements/payment.
Then if the label enters again through another distributor/directly, it all has to be uploaded again.

I think that's how it works.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

^^^ yep. They have to open you a new account. We left Intergroove and now do digital ourselves with BP and we had to start again so the baseware was from the point that our new contract started.