Daniel "dbx" Bell: Appreciation thread

phonudja
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by phonudja »

carbon_copy wrote:
Doctor T wrote:
minimal house wrote:You know what, i heard Dan Bell actually sued someone in the 90's for a track that closely resembled one of his.
It was a dispute over Josh Wink's (winx) track "don't laugh", although I don't think he actually sued him over it. If I remember correctly, Dan was pissed because he felt that the vocal manipulations in Don't Laugh were biting his style from "loosing control". He sent a nasty letter to his fans bitching about it, but I don't remember hearing anything about a lawsuit.

the whole incident seems rather silly.
I thought it was about Josh Winks track Freak, which sounded a lot like Live Wire, while biting the vocal of Phreak. Doesn't matter either way, you're right, awfully silly.
It was about Freak - and that's not that long ago, mind you. Dan Bell comes across as a very serious guy, and while it can seem silly in moments like this - I mean, even if wink copied the ideas, how are you ever gonna prove it? - it's probably also his greatest strength. He has always stuck to his own agenda, developing his own trademark style that today shows to be absolutely timeless. There are only a few producers who can compete with that - maurizio, carl craig, with exceptions hawtin, juan atkins.

In fact: instead of naming favourites, name one Dan Bell tune (or remix) that is of inferior quality!

I cannot ...
carbon_copy
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by carbon_copy »

great point's!

on another note....I just got a Tresor compilation with a cool Dan Bell track on it. It's on Tresor 174 and it's called Bilbao and it was released in 2001 I belive. Pretty good stuff.
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

Umm Subterranean ep anybody?
accdntly
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by accdntly »

When Dan played in Philly a few months ago I was so drunk that I took my shirt off in the middle of the dance floor then passed out on some steps. I allso ended up saying a buch of stupid sh!t to him too while he was DJing. Im sorry Dan but you its your fault. See... you rock to hard.
Your fan,
Andrew
PS-"Losing Control"
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

Does anyone have the High Voltage album or in MP3's?

I really need to get a hold of a copy of it, or even just the "live wire" track...
v404
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by v404 »

I just finally got the Lost Traxxx ep on Klang so I'd have to say thats my current favorite. Every track is great.
Conquest Inc.
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Conquest Inc. »

He beat it when he was here in minneapolis not too long ago, and I get to see him do the same in NYC in about a week. :D

I would have to say baby judy as well

(it rocked even more when sammy dee dropped it tonight, man he had some great stuff)
Nicolas_Lutz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Nicolas_Lutz »

He is a genius.
One of my biggest influences and a big inspiration.

I can not name one trak.
Every trak he made like daniel bell-dbx or db-x are incredible,from the begining until today.
Last edited by Nicolas_Lutz on Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.