Minimal Progressive Artists List?

v404
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by v404 »

First off, I was saying it to your face.. Minus me literally hopping on a plane. But I'm sorry dsat, nothing personal.. I wasn't making a dig at you specifically as much as it was trying to point out that you're assessment that Minimal & Progressive can't coexist is not true and that the whole purpose of this thread was to recognize that.. I'm not by any means an authority, but I know enough to be able to see that sentiment as false logic. There within was my point.

And Ion Ludwig starting a whole new thread to defend himself shows that this thread has been grossly misinterpretted. This isn't a witch hunt. And people getting up in arms for using Minimal & Progressive as a way of describing music is just silly..

It is what it is and we're just trying to have a conversation about it..

Apologies to all who have taking this personally as a dig against their work & personal beliefs. But that's the purpose of discussing things in a public forum, no?
djxlr8r
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by djxlr8r »

And I second that! thanks v404! That is exactly what the purpose of this whole thread is all about. Maybe because I made that list in the beginning it made it seem as if I was calling out artists specifically but those names were just examples. You can't make a clear point unless you use examples to clarify your opinions and statements in any case, but anyways, and I hope Ion reads this, me using you as an example means in no way that you are less of an artist than anybody else, you are a producer that makes music and for that I respect but next time don't start a new thread and call me out. I read your post and even though I understand your comment, it was in total relation to my thread so therefore creating a new one to defend yourself only makes you look bad.
Last edited by djxlr8r on Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cyhl
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cyhl »

I love this thread, I think if we're all going at it, it can become even more entertaining than the m_nus thread :lol:
subtropical
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by subtropical »

Interesting topic because just the other day i was thinking how the Berg Nixon track on Minus 'victoria station' (love it btw) sounds like something one would have called deep prog about 5 years ago...something digweed or perhaps sasha or john graham (quiver) would absolutely have played as a warm-up record...

everything about it...the big verbed out low-end the heavy but clean snares and the percussive melody that comes in after the middle...classic deep prog....

I don't know if many of the new kids realize that these older prog people used to hammer minimal sounding tracks like these as warm-up records...many years ago...especially someone like digweed
532nm
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by 532nm »

subtropical wrote:Interesting topic because just the other day i was thinking how the Berg Nixon track on Minus 'victoria station' (love it btw) sounds like something one would have called deep prog about 5 years ago...something digweed or perhaps sasha or john graham (quiver) would absolutely have played as a warm-up record...

everything about it...the big verbed out low-end the heavy but clean snares and the percussive melody that comes in after the middle...classic deep prog....

I don't know if many of the new kids realize that these older prog people used to hammer minimal sounding tracks like these as warm-up records...many years ago...especially someone like digweed
i agree. i had one of digweeds global underground cd's that rocked. although i'm sure my "techno" peers at the time would have laughed at that statement. now those same people are all playing a similar style.

what i love about minimal is the fact that it is the opposite of the progressive(trance) formula, that is, when dj's like digweed used to slowly create a huge build-up, going from minimal to maximal. modern minimal dj's go from minimal to stark (maybe just a little percussion sound w/ reverb for like 6 minutes) and i love it.

minimal works because the dj's make it work, why do you think there are so many ableton sets in this genre? because it's all about controlling dynamics and having total control over all frequency content. it's the thinking mans techno.

in the end, i think we are all just searching for music that ultimately defies explaination...sounds not heard yet, rhythms not contemplated yet, and bass not felt yet. this is credo of all techno.
prenzlauer
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by prenzlauer »

Very much agree that all these labels are pretty stupid. Still, there is no denying that a lot of the current "minimal" productions borrow quite a lot of you-know-which genre we all love to hate :)

Well fck it - it's just music
tzusing
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tzusing »

dsat wrote:it's funny when people start using terms loke progressive once there's some melody involved....

actually, when the tracks is melodic, they should lose the term minimal altogether!

minimal progressive!? PLEASE!

unless you want to seperate the word minimal from minimalism of the 1960's... what you just said doesn't make a goddamn sense at all.

steve reich is minimal as fck, melodic as sh!t.

most of you guys talk about this sh!t like "minimal" music hasn't been around since the dawn of man. get with it!
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

never mind
if disagreement means being talked like sh!t to
then this discussion becomes more like a dck race then anything else

and yes steve reich has melody, but it's a prolonged repetitive melody, not an evolving multi-layered variation of melodies, i guess that's what i meant by melodic and this is clearly not minimalist to me, but i guess people are free to draw the line wherever they want

if people want to use terms like progressive, fine by me
i still think it's silly, i'd rather use trance, because it's semantically closer
repetition is linked with trance, it makes more sense to me

but don't take my word for it
i'm just a moron anyway, who am i to judge