Is Minus becoming the Get Physical of minimal?

- wax
lil' jerk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by lil' jerk »

idealstandard wrote:
lil' jerk wrote:i feel stupid having read this thread
Go listen to digweed? :wink:
digweed is for pussies
isa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by isa »

ri wrote:Maybe looking at it like this: if Hawtin didn't exist, would there be the minimal scene like we have today?
I will answer you the question. The scene would have been the same.
okzbow
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by okzbow »

isa wrote:
ri wrote:Maybe looking at it like this: if Hawtin didn't exist, would there be the minimal scene like we have today?
Richie can be an excellent dj from time to time... but why havent we seen any new productions from him the last few years?
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

isa wrote:
someone else would have picked it up for sure, when there's money to be made, someone will always come along
i already suspected minimal would become the next thing years ago
but it's thanks to hawtin it became a big hype and exploded worldwide
and so he's filling his pockets while others stuck their necks out way before he did, but for richie fans this is perhaps hard to realize :roll:

anyway, it's pointless continuing to criticize hawtin, this is after all how things go in the music bizz
if you're only a musician and not a business man today, you will slowly disappear because the sharks will profit, even if you happen to be a pioneer, the one who's in the spotlight will be remembered

just look at someone like Juan Atkins... if there's one guy who can be regarded as a techno originator, it's him, basic channel wouldn't be there if it weren't for him
but does he get the credit for what he did?
nope, most people don't even know who he is...

likewise, there are many other examples in music history

i just wish people would put minus in perspective sometimes
but you need to see the history before you can do that
and hype is powerful thing, it affects people's judgement, especially the new generation who weren't there when it all started...

and this is essentially what's going wrong in electronic music today
if people would only dig more instead of expecting everything to be served on a shiny plate...
idealstandard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by idealstandard »

dsat wrote:someone else would have picked it up for sure, when there's money to be made, someone will always come along
i already suspected minimal would become the next thing years ago
but it's thanks to hawtin it became a big hype and exploded worldwide
and so he's filling his pockets while others stuck their necks out way before he did, but for richie fans this is perhaps hard to realize :roll:

Plus one.
I'm always amazed how many people think of this "minimal" explosion as being something new. Like Voight never existed? Did nothing happened in Cologne? Berlin? Did Baby Ford never mixed anywhere in England? Djax up Beats anybody?
And I'm not even talking about the late 80s with people like Pierre, Phuture, Adonis. Matter of fact, I consider the old Jack tracks as the blueprints of what we hear right now (just give a listen to the acid compilation on Soul Jazz and then go directly to the Sheet One lp, one must be deaf to not hear where it's coming from) but the guys got forgotten.
dsat wrote: i just wish people would put minus in perspective sometimes
but you need to see the history before you can do that
and hype is powerful thing, it affects people's judgement, especially the new generation who weren't there when it all started...

and this is essentially what's going wrong in electronic music today
if people would only dig more instead of expecting everything to be served on a shiny plate...
Word.
VIVIANNEPROJECTS
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by VIVIANNEPROJECTS »

isa wrote:
Sorry ISa but thats just a dumb statement... tally how many times he has dj'd and how many people have heard him/ minimal or not... and the impact is evident. It's just a matter of fact. :)
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Thomas D and Jack Thomas »

VIVIANNEPROJECTS wrote:
isa wrote:
Sorry ISa but thats just a dumb statement... tally how many times he has dj'd and how many people have heard him/ minimal or not... and the impact is evident. It's just a matter of fact. :)
So...you don't think that Michael Mayer's Kompakt distribution or anything of the likes had to do with influencing today's minimal explosion? How about all the artists that were pushing it before Hawtin took it on as his next marketing campaign? I'll agree that things are the way they are partly because of Hawtin, but I think minimal was due for a decent sized hype in part to other people as well. Hawtin just took it above and beyond what everybody else could have. Hawtin is a certain marketing machine that nobody else in the scene is. If decided tomorrow that prog or hard techno was the future, the scene would probably flip on a dime. (10cent euro for you folk)
theclockstrucktwelve
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by theclockstrucktwelve »

Thomas - I like what you said earlier about most "minimal" is actually house, because it's true.

I think debate about the past or future of "minimal" is kinda weird since a lot of the people participating don't neccesarily have the same classification about what is being discussed and in actuality, people are talking about the future and history of different music.

"...Michaelangelo is a PARTY DUDE.. *PAARTEEEEEEE!* "