Where is the decency gone?

- open
KETROO
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by KETROO »

Yeah maybe I was a bit too rough. Nobody should get offended as I wasn't pointing the finger to anyone.
If the mixing in the mix tapes is not anymore an accurate representation of the dj's skills (since it's precisly done on the comp.) how then a dj who's been playing in his bedroom for years trying to get gigs could be appreciated / recognized? By his selection of tracks? God'damn!
Interviews?

I am gonna start renting places and play for my friends. Cheers!

;)
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

talent will always be talent, real art will always be real art, ignore such things, support peeps who make cool things like ableton, mp3s, good rekkids, send them love , and ignore the fake ass wannabes - that's my advice.

no need to slate em - they embarass themselves usually.

one thing i will say tho, is don't slate them pureley on their pirated software or stolen MP3s , some folk aren't as fortunate as to afford such items and have to make do.

we used to have to beg , borrow and steal to put on parties, it was tough, now it's not so tough (still not easy tho), so I ain't gonna slate anyone who does this and is good, typically folk do realise the concept of putting sh!t back, when push comes to shove, some don't - well such is life huh.
thom
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thom »

What to add...

Beware the ultimate fake-asses: the lamers that steal tracks from other musicians...

Oh...I have a problem with big mouthed fake ass music "connoisseurs" (producer or not) that, for instance, will elevate Richie Hawtin to the level of Karlheinz Stockhausen (no one freak out, ok?: "Rich", as some of you so affectionately call him, is fine...). sh!t gets overrated...

This girl the other day went: "I went to see Tiga's show last week [mimics a hi-pitched girly hiss/scream]..." Excuse me?Show? What fucking show?... That kind of pissed me a bit. People are so confused nowadays...

In the end, you either to choose to accept precarity and work on your art (usually you just do it anyway if you have it in you... it's a curse and a blessing at once)... or you're the asshole running the bar and making all the cash.

You can be in between too... what would that be called again... um ...being the dj? Let's just say that it applies in some cases...

AAAAAhhhhh.... rant off... to hell with it.
v404
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by v404 »

Yeah, I feel ya... It definitely takes less to do more than it used to... But in the end, a good DJ is more than someone who just beatmatches.. Take Magda for example.. She's far from flawless but IMO is still a great DJ. On the otherhand, I've heard flawless vinyl mixes from people who mix crappy track after crappy-played-out track... and frankly, it still sucks.. The digital curtails help but still don't just do it for you..

I have a gripe, it's DJ's that adamently refuse to post track lists.. (Daniel Bell, I'm looking at you!!!) How can you have the nerve to not post your track list when 95% of it is not even your own music. If it were a live set it would be different but if you're just mixing records by other artists you bought in a shop, that's GHEEEEY.. It just perpetuates snobbery and the very aspects of the electronica/DJ culture I loathe... I don't care who you are or how famous, GROW UP!! It's not like Daniel Bell is going to lose gigs because people know what records he's playing...

Electronica is so much of a niche as it is. Doing that is basically giving your fans and to the artists you supposedly endorse a big FU...

Whatever, I could bitch about Daniel Bell all day but I know all the sychophants here would get on my case because he's a "pioneer." Regardless, he's still a douche who's exploiting the scene at the moment IMO. :roll: