notch filter @ 4500 Hz

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

no worries mate,
one thing i omitted though.
if you have a sound that needs lowering in a whole mix, you may also have to notch some of it's harmonics as well, so say you've got a spike at 4500, you may have to notch out say 9000 as well.
you can usually identify the spikes on a high resolution spectrum analysis if they are that much of a problem.
ri
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ri »

I've heard this 4.5k thing from a number of people.

And it is to the whole mix... Ear fatigue at this frequency is a lot more pronounced apparently, so it's a gentle notch here, and the track will not fatigue as much. I'd love to know the ins and outs of that more so anyone with more than just experience in this field we should all ask around.

I agree totally that you need to play your tracks in a high density sound zone (club, car etc) to see what frequencies are harsh and try to mix them out in the mix-down, but after this, you will still possibly need a small notch.

But also, the more you try to second guess your mixdowns, the flatter the track can become, so try to do this a limited number of times. Get any friends to give you advice too (you don't have to actually do anything about it!). It just helps you figure out the 'holes' in your hearing frequencies which we've all got from listening to loud music for too long in smokey basements :)
r.i.

let the music talk
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

You should only do this on the offending sounds in your mix. If you're hearing it in the reverbs then you can either tune the reverb so it doesn't do it or you can run the reverb on a send channel and set an eq before it with a notch at 4500 to 4900k. Don't overdo it on using this method or you will end up with a frequency gap in your mix. The trick is to never make a sound that does that in the first place.
ri
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ri »

I think it has more to do with the fact that when you are monitoring at a studio you'll mix the 4.5k ok, but when these frequencies are put over a big rig they are a lot more fatiguing.

If you eq out things in that space until you have very little, you are leaving a gap still....

It sometimes not just a matter of trust your ears - most producers need a post-production expert to do these little things to make the track sound dynamic and take out any loose edges. Very hard to get it right from scratch.
r.i.

let the music talk
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i dont know if this is any help, but i once took loops from 20 of the best sounding tunes in my record bag, and spectrum analized them all.
and i couldn't find two tunes with even slightly similar graphs.
some of them had most of their top end around that 4.5 - 5 k mark, others at 7 k , and yet they all sounded great to my ears, it just totally depends on the tune, so i dont really go along with this notch at 4500 hz thing i'm afraid.
if you are worried about that frequency area, just dont put too much weight there with your sounds.
ri
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ri »

But you're talking about vinyl post-mastering huh?

But here's something I just read:

"as for a cut at 4500khz - 3-4k (give or take) is the range in which the human ear is most sensitive (resonant freq. of ear canal)."

Interesting.
Form the Dogs On Acid website, drum and bass gotta be good for something eh!!
r.i.

let the music talk
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

ri wrote:But you're talking about vinyl post-mastering huh?

But here's something I just read:

"as for a cut at 4500khz - 3-4k (give or take) is the range in which the human ear is most sensitive (resonant freq. of ear canal)."

Interesting.
Form the Dogs On Acid website, drum and bass gotta be good for something eh!!
yeah those drum and bass boys are good at getting their facts wrong, the average resonant frequency of the ear canal of an adult is around 3000 -3400 Hz,
and totally depends on the length of the ear canal which varies in each individual.
and yes i was using post-mastered vinyl, but didnt detect any notches at that frequency. also ive been to dozens of record cuts in numerous different cutting rooms and have never encountered an engineer who notched out that frequency.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

ok guys, i just tried it this afternoon in my studio, and i notched out variuos hi-mid frequencies with an analogue EQ, and there was an area where it was less tiring on my ears if i pulled out a few db. but i cant say to any certainty which frequency i was hitting because i was using analogue.
the problem i have is that ok that helps me work longer in the studio, but i'm not sure how it's going to affect the overall spectrum.
and sorry for being rude to the D&B boys. they rock !!