Compression & Ableton Live

- ask away
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Compression & Ableton Live

Post by clubfoot »

Hi all,

I make my tracks in Logic and play them out from Ableton. This works quite well but I'm having a bit of difficulty replicating the compression.

For instance, I've got multiband compression and limiting on my master in Logic. To transfer a song for creative playback in Ableton I make individual compressed loops of all the parts. The problem is that I can't compress these together as I did in Logic - I'm not particularly impressed with the Ableton compressors and I'm just not acheiving the original quality.

So I'm wondering what other people are using - software/hardware? Or can anyone give some tips on the use of Ableton's supplied plug-ins?

Cheers

Pete
kujoma
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kujoma »

Maybe use vst based compressors? Then you could use the same in logic as well as in live. I prefer the Compressor from the Waves Bundle.
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

Yeah I've heard that Waves is good but the bundles do cost a fair bit. Can you please tell me which of the Waves compressors you recommend. Is it the Renaissance? This one is included in one of the cheaper bundles.

I'm gutted I can't open Logic VSTs in Ableton cos I like them and know them really well. I was looking at maybe the dbx166 compressor/limiter but that's another piece of hardware to carry around - could be worth it though.
kujoma
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kujoma »

No i use the c4.

Hardware has the advantage that you don't have to care anymore if youre favorite comp works on youre vst host or not.
kevin h
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kevin h »

this has good reviews for a free multi-band

i havent tried it, so i cant comment on quality

worth a try, right?

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/950.html
bawww..........beep-beep
tsod
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tsod »

hmm i dont know much about logic.. but if your fav comp is vst you should be able to use it in ableton too.. otherwise you could try rewiring ableton and logic.. but dunno if thats possible and if its what you want
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

these "vst's" in Logic are not vst's but built in effects.

as for the comp ->
http://www.kvraudio.com/get/505.html
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...