samples

- ask away
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

Oh, it's also important to note:
That's only the beginning.

A lot of your sounds will come from your processing inside your app. Don't always be trying to get the "perfect sound" right off the cuff, a lot of things in the beginning come about from abusing your recorded tidbits in your production tools. Try pitching things wildly differently, experiment with differetnt types + timings of reverbs/delays... and interesting eqing and filtering mechanisms.. just go crazy. You'll discover a lot of things this way and it will be a much more rewarding experience than simply settleing for some sounds you find somewhere else. (Not that there is anything wrong with that per se).
leecurtiss
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by leecurtiss »

i think adam's right on the $

you really do have to take into consideration what he was saying about using your editing software, make a couple of different versions of the same sample, you will find that amazing things will come out of your edits.

i get a lot of compliments on my samples, but what people don't realize is that i don't pull those things out of thin air, i have almost as much time spent in the studio sampling as i do making the tracks, your sampling in what will set you apart and give you a unique sound. it is just as important as anything else in the track.
skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by skept »

i have recently developed a technique that i have been using. it expands on adam's synth idea only with vinyl. it started with recording locked groove records for sampling. then i just started manipulating the record while recording, pitching it, turning the table off, reversing it, just letting it play and pulling back here and there or whatever random fun things come to mind. oh yeah i also just like to play any record and drop the tone arm here and there. i also get some old needles and old wax and lift the tone up all the way and just let that sucker drop and bounce.

put the mangled up locked groove loops into simpler and warp it until it makes sense and you have some pure funk.
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mlexicon »

jesus!
u guys are funny.

I like to get a coconut and drop a small mouse in it, you must put a recording device in it, but dont start it then... then I plug it up with a cork...then I fly to a deserted island....usually off the coast of Madegascar (results may vary where u decide)
Then I climb to the highest point on the island....i start the recording device.... throw the coconut as far as I can.....when i find the coconut.

youll see that you have some of the best noises youll ever come across and well worth the money....i highly recommend it
Leon Neon
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Leon Neon »

We should all trade samples. I have a 100 disc spindle full of samples I've made over the last 10 years and probably 60+ of them are for minimal stuff. Let me know if you want to trade samples. I'm only interested in short one-hit style samples-no loops or pads, or complicated crap. Just building blocks.

My website is being built now and by next week sometime I will have some of my tracks-maybe I should add a sample database? I've spent years saying "how the hell does he/she get his/her samples?" Now people ask me that because I make them all from scratch. Since we all work this way it's only fitting that we trade them so that the sounds can take on new forms. Sample progression.

www.Torusrecords.com -- nothing there yet...next week.....