Too many Paypal Buttons where they don't belong?

- open
louthy
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by louthy »

adam wrote:
louthy wrote:Over at http://netlabel.4four.org (shameless plug ;)) I don't have a donate button, and I don't use archive.org either, I pay for a dedicated server to host it and my messageboard, to the tune of $170 per month.

A year or so ago I put a PayPal thing on my messageboard, as we were getting a huge amount of traffic, and the live-sets I was hosting was using over 1000 gb's of traffic per month. But alas, nobody donates, so I didn't bother putting one up when I started the netlabel. I now use Google AdSense to raise revenue to pay for the server.

I don't think it's an issue if sites put the paypal button up, but they're not going to make any money. As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, a service whereby you get a CD delivered, with full colour artwork etc would be a better way to get money to the artists, but I can't see any labels going for that, as it's very much a 'spare time' thing.
Does adsense actually help you out?
Yeah it does, I recover most of my server costs, but it would probably only work well with high traffic sites like messageboards, rather than occasional visits from people looking for downloads. But I'd definitely give it a try. They pay the cash straight into your account too, so it's no hassle once it's all set up. You can also make a colour scheme which matches your site, so they're not too intrusive, check http://www.4four.org/bb/viewforum.php?f=1 to see them in action.
Rich
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Rich »

I don´t think the CD buying thing would be very popular. For example, Paxahau.com have a load of good sets, but streams only. they offer a service where you can purchase a cd of the set, and they´ll post it out to you. Thing is, it says they´ll dispatch within a week, then it´ll take up to another ten days to arrive in the uk. Why would I wait that long? I don´t - I just record the sets myself, real-time. It´s a pain in the arse, cos I have to mess around with total recorder to record it, then I can´t use the pc for an hour or two, so it doesn´t record any "ping" noises etc. If they offered me to download the set for, say, one dollar then I would do it. I am a lazy man, and if it´s only a dollar or two, then that´s fine.

Would that work? "One dollar mixes"?? Would anyone else do that?!

Hmm...
louthy
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by louthy »

Surely there are major copyright issues if they're selling mix-CDs?
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

I think the advertising/adsense thing might be one of the only really feasible ways of generating revenue. Think about (free) magazines that you find in record shops and things... the content is there, that's all people want and they aren't going to go out of their way to donate money to keep it running.. that's why they have advertisers and things
isa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by isa »

vermi
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by vermi »

Rich wrote:I don´t think the CD buying thing would be very popular. For example, Paxahau.com have a load of good sets, but streams only. they offer a service where you can purchase a cd of the set, and they´ll post it out to you. Thing is, it says they´ll dispatch within a week, then it´ll take up to another ten days to arrive in the uk. Why would I wait that long? I don´t - I just record the sets myself, real-time. It´s a pain in the arse, cos I have to mess around with total recorder to record it, then I can´t use the pc for an hour or two, so it doesn´t record any "ping" noises etc. If they offered me to download the set for, say, one dollar then I would do it. I am a lazy man, and if it´s only a dollar or two, then that´s fine.

Would that work? "One dollar mixes"?? Would anyone else do that?!

Hmm...
about the paxahau mixes, all the files are streamed from a *.rm (or the other way around) file (same url as the stream, but different file-extension). so if you make a html file so you can right cklick and save the stream-source you got the *.ram/.rm file and can easily convert it to a mp3 with a converter (there are plenty of them out there (rm->mp3 conv.))

(just thought i could let you know, so you can use your computer while making mp3's of the streams:)