How do you deal with writers block?

- ask away
Harry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: How do you deal with writers block?

Post by Harry »

I have a similar problem man, but it tend s to start half way through making a track.

I got some good responses from people when i posted about it a few weeks ago - http://www.mnml.nl/phpBB3/viewtopic.php ... 0&start=13
ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ray parry »

take more drugs?
JonasEdenbrandt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JonasEdenbrandt »

i do different things. Sometimes i force myself to do something. Dosen't have to be a track or something that can turn into the track just play around and make sound for a while. But most often i find doing something else that i find rewarding is the quickest way back.

Go see a friend, go to a party, mix some records, watch a movie and tada tons of new ideas!
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

honestly, I never have that problem.
Obviously, some days you just feel like you're not gonna be able to produce anything decent all day,
but on those days, there's still so much you can do in the studio that will help you out on days where everything just comes together creatively.
Maybe there's a manual you still need to read ?
Maybe you can build some more drum racks or FX racks ?
Maybe you can create some new presets on a few of your synths ?
Maybe you can run around the house and record stuff with a field recorder ?
Maybe you can try to put some more order into your samples folder ?

And if that feels like too much hassle, you can just fire up some loops and run them through all different types of FX, resample stuff,...
meanwhile having a few beers,
sooner or later there's always something that will pop up that you might like and can use in some future project.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Hades wrote:honestly, I never have that problem.
i never have that problem either.
i always enjoy my time in the studio and always produce something i like at the time, my problems start when i listen back the next day and find that it's not good enough in some way or other.
i never try to push any tune which fails the second hearing test, i just move on and do something else. I'm constantly recording everything i do, so i have to listen to a lot of experiments which dont work, but there's always something every few days that i like and keep.
ms500
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ms500 »

For me if I'm feeling particularly unispired then I find there's no point trying to force something. I usually just have a mix or something and usually an idea or sound will jump out and me and get the creativity flowing again.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

it's healthy to put things down completely. it important to have balance in all areas of your life..

but sometimes.....

:-flower
S
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by S »

aye, go for a walk and pic mushrooms 8)