- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: modular etc etc

Post by steevio »

Audio Dependent wrote:
steevio wrote:^^^

A137 will be my next purchase when i start buying again (which might not be for a while), i've always fancied it.
let me know if/when you do as i'm still not 100% into it. For me its definitely more interesting running audio into the CV ins, and it can produce some interesting timbres, i'm just not sure it fits with what i'm doing atm.
are you using sine / tri waves as your input signal ?

is it the A137-1 you've got ?
Audio Dependent
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Audio Dependent »

steevio wrote:
Audio Dependent wrote:
steevio wrote:^^^

A137 will be my next purchase when i start buying again (which might not be for a while), i've always fancied it.
let me know if/when you do as i'm still not 100% into it. For me its definitely more interesting running audio into the CV ins, and it can produce some interesting timbres, i'm just not sure it fits with what i'm doing atm.
are you using sine / tri waves as your input signal ?

is it the A137-1 you've got ?
yeah got the A137-1. currently, i don't have a VCO with a sine, so just triangles as the input.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

The STG wavefolder is pretty badass. I use it on every bass line now. A simple sine with the gain setting somewhere around one gives it just the right amount of harmonics to cut into the mix (for a subby bass line). It can get pretty wild too if you need it too. I watched a video for the Intellijel wavefolder and I gotta admit, it sounds really good. I was going to grab the triple wave folder next, but I might go for that one instead. Wavefolders are one of those cool things that you just don't see in other synths.

Here's the link for the Intellijel video: http://vimeo.com/33813515
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

^^^
haha thats friggin sweet phase ghost. great timbres to play with. will have to consider that too.

danjel is making some great stuff, and he used to be a regular on this forum :D

the jimi hendrix of modules !!!
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

http://www.analoguehaven.com/tiptopaudio/bd808/

with the other tiptop 808 modules, you'll be able to get all the 808 sounds in the size of a small paperback (err 20th century tree fibre based i-pad)

909 to come !

edit; shame theres no pitch control though.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

from the ricardo kick thread
I'm not sure this thread is appropriate but as seen as it's gone pear shaped already, I was wondering how much it might cost to build a monosynth with a sequencer in modular? Say, 1 VCO, well 2 as I would like it to have a sub ocs, a decent low pass moog type filter and basic filter and amp envelopes. Oh, and of course the sequencer. Essentially, a bass synth. For something like that, am I better off just buying a used synth? Would there be any benefit to creating such a thing in modular over a regular analogue monosynth?
the benefits of modular are expansion, quality of sound and newness. it isnt going to die on you ! or if it does you can get replacement.
touch wood ive not had a single module die on me in 2 years (over 60 modules) and whenever ive contacted the makers about improvements and modifications theyve been very helpful, and even sent me parts for free to do it.

the only thing i query about your idea is; why the sequencer ?

theres nothing to be gained really in a small synth.

my modular is 65% sequencer, but i wouldnt bother with a simple sequencer, infact i didnt have one for the first 6 months, i just used cubase and a midi/cv convertor. you've got much more control from your computer. its only when you start putting together a more complex sequencing rig that it becomes worth it.

you'd be better off spending your cash on good VCO / VCF / VCA / EGs / LFOs etc.. as a starting point, plus you need a case/ PSU of some sort.

i'll putt a list together of what you might need, and maybe some of the other guys could do the same as they might have different opinions, and then you could start checking it out.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

steevio wrote:http://www.analoguehaven.com/tiptopaudio/bd808/

with the other tiptop 808 modules, you'll be able to get all the 808 sounds in the size of a small paperback (err 20th century tree fibre based i-pad)

909 to come !

What does the "tone" control do then? I kinda thought that was a pitch control. The hi-hat module is gonna own. I'm anxious to hear a demo of it.

On a semi-related note, has anyone tried the A-117 808 sound source module. I didn't even realize it existed until recently. Apparently it's meant to be a base for the cymbols and highats like in the 808.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Phase Ghost wrote:
steevio wrote:http://www.analoguehaven.com/tiptopaudio/bd808/

909 to come !

What does the "tone" control do then? I kinda thought that was a pitch control. The hi-hat module is gonna own. I'm anxious to hear a demo of it.

On a semi-related note, has anyone tried the A-117 808 sound source module. I didn't even realize it existed until recently. Apparently it's meant to be a base for the cymbols and highats like in the 808.
it sets the start of the pitch envelope, but the fundamental is one frequency.