modular etc etc

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: modular etc etc

Post by oblioblioblio »

Analogue FM with Triangle core oscillators is perfect for percussive melodic voices, and is completely 100% controllable. I'll try and upload something in a month or so.

if you're using triangle core oscillators for FM you can push them further and still stay within "musical" controllable territory.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

modular shizzle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XQ7QZvh ... embedded#!

also noticed this interview from a well known techno person... liked the sound demos at the bottom.. apparantly modular.

http://www.factmag.com/2011/06/21/ricar ... e-balance/
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

is that docu about him it shows all his modular. check that out if you havent already.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

not sure if this belongs here but i saw steevios modular video shared on facebook today and people were losing their sh!t... like 12 re-shares and tons of jaw dropping comments. :)
"Omg that fresh"
"this is what you can call : MUSIC !"
"I know those Mackie's are knockin' and moving air on the low end. This is ridiculous. Legit."
"Imagine when this dude plays out live and then some dj starts up his laptop, opens up traktor and plays an mp3... puts the sound quality into perspective."
cheers!
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

thanks hydrogen, although i'm a bit embarassed everytime this pops up..

i thought i would just try to keep this thread moving with some tricks and tips.

its sometimes the overlooked modules that are the most useful imo.
for instance i always put an A162 trigger delay before and an A183-2 polarizer/ attenuator after every pair of EGs on my rig.
the trigger delay can turn triggers into gates with the length control, which also gives you more control over the action of the EG, and of course delay the onset, and the A183-2 gives you full control of the polarity and level of the envelope.
these are cheap modules, but are totally invaluable imo.
its all about control for me, i think its important to have full control over what the CVs are doing, you can still have the chaos and unpredictability if you want it, but its annoying if you want something to happen and you cant achieve it.

anyone else with any tips ?
Audio Dependent
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Audio Dependent »

Random quantised gates - run your clock source into the input of a vca and a sample and hold or some kind of source of uncertainty into the cv input of the vca. take the out of the vca into your trigger input of your eg and the vca level control now lets you control how many triggers get through.

I have an SQ8 8 step sequencer, which if you clock it at audio rates can create interesting 8 stepped waveforms.

I wasn't enjoying my A-137 wavefolder until i started experimenting with running audio into the CV inputs.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

^^^

A137 will be my next purchase when i start buying again (which might not be for a while), i've always fancied it.

A136 gets a lot of bad press on Muffs, but i love mine, its great for gritting things up.
Audio Dependent
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Audio Dependent »

steevio wrote:^^^

A137 will be my next purchase when i start buying again (which might not be for a while), i've always fancied it.
let me know if/when you do as i'm still not 100% into it. For me its definitely more interesting running audio into the CV ins, and it can produce some interesting timbres, i'm just not sure it fits with what i'm doing atm.