[Iterate] Chymera - Everybody Dies... Even Horses (2005)

- wax
i-am-an-exit
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

[Iterate] Chymera - Everybody Dies... Even Horses (2005)

Post by i-am-an-exit »

Hi mnml.nl,

Here's my debut album as Chymera. Is it minimal.... hmm, not really, but it is very melodic, and as so much of the stuff posted up here is melodic techno rather than really minimal, I hope it's not out of place. If you like my deep tracks as I.AM.AN.EXIT (Click to check out those tracks), then hopefully you might like this album too.

Here's the lowdown:
Dublin based electronic music producer Brendan Gregoriy, aka Chymera, releases his debut album on his own newly founded imprint, Iterate Recordings. Gathering together the most organic tracks in the Chymera repertoire, he has created an album with both home listening and dancefloor sensibilities in mind, while ultimately maintaining a solid flow from beginning to end. These twelve tracks blend intricate melodic patterns, subtle string arrangements, and delicate rhythms into a melting pot of downbeat, electro, and deep techno, with a hint of alternative rock and a definite nod towards Detroit. The album builds, bubbles and meanders from the opening rhythms and subtle melodies of 'Empire', through to the upbeat shuffles of 'My Love' and 'Chamber Zen', pausing on the grandiose 'Silencio' and reflective 'Moment in Time' and climaxing with the intense rhythms of 'Gone', a refrain of 'Empire', bringing the album full circle to its natural conclusion.

Listen to all the tracks here

And if you like it you can buy the CD album from:

Cdbaby - If you're in the states
Road Records - if you're in Ireland/Europe

Or direct from: chymera@chymera.org

Thanks for your time

Chymera
zzebbirt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by zzebbirt »

will listen.....(and probaly order :P)

The sets on your site are great and I play the i-am-an-exit tracks on a regular basis 8)
gillsans
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by gillsans »

Looking forward to this. Great work Chymera.

Your i-am-an-exit music is very enjoyable.
Keepin' the beats deep in the groove bunker
i-am-an-exit
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by i-am-an-exit »

thanks both. Hope you like it!
i-am-an-exit
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by i-am-an-exit »

Here's the reviews so far:

-snip--CHYMERA Everybody Dies . . . Even Horses Iterate ****
Irish electronic music producer Brendan "Chymera" Gregory has become a prolific name on the local scene via a rake of compilation credits and live supports. But while many other rising Irish producers lack the wherewithal and often confidence to take the next logical step towards a full-length album, Gregory has no such qualms about his abilities or ambitions. Everybody Dies . . . Even Horses is a wonderfully pitched, supremely assured piece of work that nips and tucks all manner of electronic shades and sounds into a highly satisfying album. Gregory is at his best when he stirs his cauldron of deep melodies, dark rhythms and intricate textures into unexpected blends. It's clear from the brooding, statuesque Moment in Time and the downtown Detroit shuffle of Chamber Zen that Gregory's future designs will also be worth examining. www.chymera.org Jim Carroll--snip--

from the ticket, in the irish times, may 6th 2005.

--snip--Chymera Everybody dies . . Even Horses Iterate
Every once and a while someone appears out of nowhere and simply knocks you off your feet. Brendan Gregory AKA Chymera has, like many before him, blown me away with the quality and intensity of his debut album. Apart from a couple of heads at D1, few in Ireland are coming close to this quality and the emotional intensity of Chymera's debut. It doesn't have it all but it has most things. A clever and broad use of genre; standard 4/4 kicks, break beats and no beats; emotionally charged melody and strings; tight production and sharp programming that you would mistake for Orbital. No wonder he is upstaging Joey Beltram. Desy Balmer--snip--

from hold it down magazine, may 2005.

--snip--Chymera Everybody Dies, Even Horses
You've got to admire Cork producer Bren Gregoriy's initiative: instead of trying to hawk his work to a label, he set up his own imprint to release his debut album, with the result that his individualistic take on electronic music gets an audience. Fusing deep techno with breaks and electro, Bren adds some lo-fi rock flavours on the nocturnal slow motion beats of 'Empire', the grinding 'Chamber Zen' outdoes the electro house brigade with its raw sex appeal, while the bubbling melodies of the title track recall classic Orbital material. If the rest of the world tunes in, Chymera could easily become Ireland's first electronic producer to hit the big time. Eight/Ten.--snip--

from hotpress, June 2005.