modular synthesis

- ask away
goomba
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by goomba »

P.S i feel like an idiot :lol:
who has only to imagine in order to pierce through walls and cause all the planetary baghdads of his dreams to rise from the dust.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

audio leads are always the first thing to check, but ive done it myself many times, fear the worst first !

i hope thats what it was mate.

nor sure what its got to do with the patch cords though, they dont come into the equation.

are you plugging directly from the modules to the mixer ?

if so you need to plug into mono channels, and then it doesnt matter what type of convertor youre using because the second ring is still going to earth as it would with a mono convertor.

the only way it could be a problem is if you're plugging a mono plug into a stereo socket, but most mixers dont have stereo sockets, they usually have two monos for stereo L & R :?
mo's taverne
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mo's taverne »

Hey guys!

recently i'm saving some money for an "entry level" modular system.
After years with a nord modular g1, i'm feeling it's time for some real beef.
I'll have around 800€-1000€ to spent, and i'm coming here for some advice.
till now i've found these different routes to go. Overall it should be expandable, very good sounding, affordable prices for new modules and versatile. what do you guys think about:

MFB Kraftzwerg semimodular synth + MFB Urzwerg Sequecer 960€
Doepfer Modules (VCO's, VCF, ADSR, LFO, MIXER, LOGIC, MIDI to CV)
Analogue Solutions Modules (as above)

do you guys have some tips, advices, or similar?

THX!
...:.::.:::.:.....::....:...::...::.::::....::...:....

http://biloba.twoday.net/
goomba
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by goomba »

Yes I'm plugging directly out of my QMMG into a mono input.. I only get the hum when i output to a pair of speakers either directly from my mixer or from my soundcard. There is no noise when I output to headphones..
who has only to imagine in order to pierce through walls and cause all the planetary baghdads of his dreams to rise from the dust.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

mo's taverne wrote:Hey guys!

till now i've found these different routes to go. Overall it should be expandable, very good sounding, affordable prices for new modules and versatile. what do you guys think about:

THX!
drop out the semi modular stuff. IMO you're much better off putting the money into full modular.

My favourite modules are by Malekko / Wiard, MakeNoise, Metasonix, Flight of Harmony, Livewire . Schneidersladen has some good descriptions on their website, many of the manufacturers have decent manuals. ANd Muffwiggler has some really great discussions about every module. I personally don't have any Doepfer, MFB or Analogue Solutions modules.

Spend as much time as you can researching before you commit to anything, there's a lot of work to do looking thru alll the different ways to do everything. With modular there are 20 different ways to do every different tiny thing, and it's very helpful to know all the possiblities to know which one will work for you.

This thread has some great little functional systems that might give you some ideas.

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewto ... 75&start=0
Last edited by oblioblioblio on Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

goomba wrote:Yes I'm plugging directly out of my QMMG into a mono input.. I only get the hum when i output to a pair of speakers either directly from my mixer or from my soundcard. There is no noise when I output to headphones..
then its not the convertor mate, unless the convertor is broken.

how close is your case to the speakers ?

try moving your case or speakers and see if the hum gets less.

are they powered speakers ? maybe youve got a ground loop with your speakers.

if you get no hum with your headphones, it suggests its a ground loop to me. if it was a faulty PSU i think you would hear it in your headphones.

have you got any other gear plugged into the mains plug sockets apart from the mixer ?
have you tried taking everything out of the equation (including your computer) except the case and the mixer and speakers.

you have to eliminate everything one at a time

i think a groundlifter will solve your problems, i'm not sure how much they are, but theyre not expensive. maybe mention this to monorocket and see what they say.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

mo's taverne wrote:Hey guys!

THX!
i definitely agree with oblio, forget the semi-modular, put all your money into the modular.

maybe keep the step sequencer, although personally i would get a midi-CV convertor and use your computer for sequencing to start with, then when you can afford it buy sequencer modules for your modular.
this is what i did, and i'm happy i didnt buy a seperate analogue sequencer now, i like everything to be in one case, and also you can custom build your sequnecer exactly how you want it.

doepfer modules are great and cheap ive got loads of them, but for VCOs and VCFs look at all the possibilites, there may be better ones for not much more money.
check all the VCO, VCF threads in Muffwiggler.
mo's taverne
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mo's taverne »

Oblio, Steevio
thanks for your feedback. I guess the semi-modular stuff isn't as open and flexible as a full modular. hhmm, i'll check out muffwiggler for more research. great link! cheers.

mo
...:.::.:::.:.....::....:...::...::.::::....::...:....

http://biloba.twoday.net/