Using Boss Pedals as effects while djing

- open
:regi
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Using Boss Pedals as effects while djing

Post by :regi »

anybody uses them?is it possible?i am considering to buy a delay pedal..i've seen alex picone and others using them, that looks kinda cool
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

probably most useful if your mixer has an fx in/out. boss's delay pedals are fun to use, also flanger/phase/chorus are great for dj'ing. i think this was more popular in the 90's, before digital effects were available to everyone.
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

what if i don't have send/return? :( can i put the pedal between the turntable and the mixer?
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

you could. it isn't ideal for the hardware, for example you may get unwanted noise. with vinyl, the mixing console has a preamp, so if you add effects to the audio channel before it runs through preamp it'll sound super distorted. also you'd have to use a stereo pedal, which is pricier then normal mono guitar pedals.

of course if you are running a laptop or digital equipment this won't be a problem.
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

hmmm..ok i got it thanks :) i'm using vinyls and cdjs so the analog pedal is not the best option for me til i get a send/return mixer...
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

the boss DD-7 is nice. for each repeat of the delay it filters out lower frequencies, so by the end of the fade you have mostly high end sound (less murky). also it has a tap tempo feature, which is useful if you aren't sure exactly what tempo your in.
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

I found a lot of pedals for a very cheap price on eBay, maybe I'll buy one and then think about to connect it :)
Rochey
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Rochey »

I've got a Boss DD-6, it's cool, you need send/return on your mixer though!

It's easy to use
Digital effects on traktor for example are nice but no where near as good as the DD-6

I don't think I get enough use out of it for the money I spent though...

Depends what you're mixing? Works really well with Techno or "minimal" if you play housier stuff you might want to consider a sampler or something?
Here for a Good Time, Not a Long Time!

http://www.louchemusic.com