New Synth? ( Hardware )

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

AK wrote:i doubt i could get into a modular set up, id imagine it would be a totally new journey that wouldnt end. I know analog can do fm but usually its unstable across a keyboard range but then you'd expect that.

Anyway, its not about that for me i just want something that sounds great and inspires me, preferably with a keyboard as i feel more in touch with the instrument.

Further insight into the nord wave reveals it doesnt actually have an option where it functions as a classic wavetable synth, ie: you cant use an lfo to cycle through wavetables/samples, neither can you control the start time of a sampled wave. So in that respect, its static and playback only. Guess thats quite limiting for a synth entitled 'wave'.

I have time to think anyways and im still considering the a6 despite the apparent bugs. In fact im getting a number of things but i already know what they are, its a single high end synth that im unsure about.

Is there anything else worth checking out? @ obli, how does that integrate into your set up, midi?
You can limit yourself reasonbly (well, I can't talk exactly from experience there... jumped in a bit faster than i'd liked).

But yeah, anyways, disregarding the possiblity that it might chnage your entire philiosophy of electronic music, you can definitely set yourself aesthetic limits, and not end up being one of those guys with walls and walls of stuff. In fact, I've found it extremely healthy to keep my set up minimal and focussed (a bit.)

I seem to have blabbered on to more people than I should ahve done about modular, but when talking to people who have musical minds that I respect, I find it a bit hard not to.

There are touch controller modules if you want that kind of thing. I like them a lot more than keyboards as they're not specifically for pitch (though they are excellent at that), and end up being another little voltage guy that does fun stuff.

Tracking with proper analogue shouldn't be an issue, same goes with tuning. You can get 5 good octaves out of most oscillators (maybe more), and with FM i've never noticed them to be anything but lazer sharp with holographic harmonics.

I would look at Wiard and MakeNoise modules. I might upload some loose sounds i did recently with my stuff. About integrating into my set up. That stuff now is my set up. I use some variants on Buchla as the entire backbone of my system. But I think with the right design criteria you can do something that is quite happy being slaved to other systems, e.g. midi.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

avoid the Andromeda at all costs bro.

its a creativity killer.

i lost 2 years on that machine, with very little to show for it, its painfully fiddly and unintuitive, pointless in an analogue.

i agree with oblio

if you want a prophet 08 rackmount, i'm selling mine because it doesnt fit into my modular set-up very well, but its a nice sounding synth.
the encoders are a bit strange, but you get used to them.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

oblio, sounds fascinating, cheers for the info. It seems like an entirely different world, my knowledge of modular stuff is pathetically small so for now im not going to be seduced into research lol.

That said, i have been considering abandoning the pc altogether and looking at new ways to sequence. Quite what that is i dont know yet as i want to get some pre midi gear. An sh101 is def on my to get list purely because of its bass, i owned 1 yrs ago and have missed it eversince. Obviously, barring midi retro fits, im gonna have issues sequencing esp if i end up with a few bits of analog gear. I have no idea what the current technology is for incorporating analog gear into a midi set up is?

@steevio, i doubt you'd have that prophet by the time my house is sold, im not buying anything until then and with the current state of the housing market, god knows how long that will be. At least it gives me time to consider my new purchases though, i tend to buy stuff on impulse and have made bad buys in the past lol.

Re: the a6, would it suit a patient studio muso? Im not really bothered about a live/jamming synth, just something that sounds great and has a lot of depth.

How are you sequencing/writing music, do you have any midi in your chain and or a master sequencer?

Cheers for the link btw, mobile browsing sucks but im liking that site.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AK wrote:
@steevio, i doubt you'd have that prophet by the time my house is sold, im not buying anything until then and with the current state of the housing market, god knows how long that will be. At least it gives me time to consider my new purchases though, i tend to buy stuff on impulse and have made bad buys in the past lol.

Re: the a6, would it suit a patient studio muso? Im not really bothered about a live/jamming synth, just something that sounds great and has a lot of depth.

How are you sequencing/writing music, do you have any midi in your chain and or a master sequencer?
i might still have the prophet, i'm not in any hurry to sell it.

A6 - i'd say i was a patient studio muso myself, it doesnt sound that great, and is a total pain in the arse, the depth is there but is obscurred by very poor interface, the screen is horrendous, and the software and controls are glitchy.

until i went 100% modular i used midi from my PC to control my analogue synths, using a kenton CV interface, now i have two doepfer A155 + A154sequencers, and a Tiptop Audio Z8000 + lots of sequential switches, and adders and quantisers -blissssssss

theres nothing like modular, it totally frees you up, i could never go back to writing music on a computer, modular is the sh!t, its a revelation, no competition.... whether youre a muso or a jammer.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

+ 1 modular is the sh!t.

totally open ended. It's all familiar electronic concepts, but rearranged, and with much room for personal expression.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

I like my prophet 08 more everytime I use it. Granted, it's not too good for bass, but I've never used it as a bass synth. Also, most of the presets are garbage. I think some people that rate it low, do so because of the presets. Don't listen to the haters man, it's a good synth

If you do go for it, get the potentiometer version. Filter sweeps are a pain in the ass with the encoders. Other than that, I love mine.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: New Synth? ( Hardware )

Post by steevio »

AK wrote: The Prophet 08: Have read various stuff about this and saw that it's DCO with a limited sound pallete and numerous people have said the top VSTi's are capable of competing with it at a sonic level. I dunno?
no way bro, the prophet sounds great, limited sonic palette my arse, no more than most synths, thats people who dont know how to program talking.

software doesnt come close
Rookas
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rookas »

software nowadays sound great , e.g. dcam synth squad, ace , polykb.. :)
but hardware is much nicer thing to have , its like a child, liek your best friend.
i would go for p08 desktop
its all about the rhythm