Ricardo Villalobos

noelpeters
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by noelpeters »

MicrominiKev wrote:It's the way artists are. Accept them as people, and don't confuse their demons with their talents.
... and let's not assume pastimes are demons

and let's try to keep mnml a place free of the plague of neoconservatism :)
rkampschoer
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by rkampschoer »

leecurtiss wrote:i cannot easily get my head around the fact that people have turned a thread like this into a "beat on ricardo" session, thank you for everyone that has lent insite to those that may not grasp the importance of what this man is doing. and to pick on him for drug use or missing planes.....are you a bunch of fucking geeks? does anyone remember how the rock stars of the earlier decades behaved? with his kind of mind and lifestyle, things that seem incredibly important to you are nothing to a man like him. so he misses a plane and is all fucked up at some after party.... does anyone remember Jim Morrison? Hendix? Zepplin? ARE YOU SERIOUSLY GOING TO BUST ON SOMEONE FOR BEING A PARTY ANIMAL? go ahead and bust on me to then. i'm not making his partying into a positive point but for god sake, do any of you know what some of your favorite producer/DJs drug habits are.... and does it really matter?

if you don't like his music, maybe it's not for you then, maybe you're not ready for it yet, maybe someday you will learn to appreciate it. a classicly trained percussionist, a visionary and a genious. if his tracks go nowhere then i wish i could figure out how to get my tracks to go nowhere to.
Agreed 100%

nuff said...
www.robinkampschoer.com
sometimes, less is more...
Dennie
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Dennie »

great DJ this guy :D
verry technical, but Richie Hawtin is better :oops: :wink:
sertach
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by sertach »

awesome.i love this guy.
change one thing,change everyting
PatStormont
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by PatStormont »

MicrominiKev wrote:Accept them as people, and don't confuse their demons with their talents.
I would post a witty reply, but I'm going to the pub to feed my "Demons", which I am quite talented at mind you, where does that leave your statement?
Jesse_mtl
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Jesse_mtl »

i would say hawtin is more technical, ricardo is more soulful. and ricardo is way better. its the latin blood :)
psherburne
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by psherburne »

hi everyone, this is my first post here... (found the forum by backtracking from my blog; can't believe i never knew about it before!)

i liked the comment comparing villalobos with arthur russell. i think there is a similarity there, though it's hard to put my finger on - something about space and harmonics and illusory presences that might or might not really be there, or simply the effect of sounds rubbing together. i've heard ricardo's forthcoming doublepack for cadenza and it's by far his most "out there" production, full of rippling rhythms and long, twisting figures. i'm very curious to see how people react to it, because it's about as far as his MixMag Top 100 DJ Poll listing as you could get...
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

leecurtiss wrote:i cannot easily get my head around the fact that people have turned a thread like this into a "beat on ricardo" session, thank you for everyone that has lent insite to those that may not grasp the importance of what this man is doing. and to pick on him for drug use or missing planes.....are you a bunch of fucking geeks? does anyone remember how the rock stars of the earlier decades behaved? with his kind of mind and lifestyle, things that seem incredibly important to you are nothing to a man like him. so he misses a plane and is all fucked up at some after party.... does anyone remember Jim Morrison? Hendix? Zepplin? ARE YOU SERIOUSLY GOING TO BUST ON SOMEONE FOR BEING A PARTY ANIMAL? go ahead and bust on me to then. i'm not making his partying into a positive point but for god sake, do any of you know what some of your favorite producer/DJs drug habits are.... and does it really matter?

if you don't like his music, maybe it's not for you then, maybe you're not ready for it yet, maybe someday you will learn to appreciate it. a classicly trained percussionist, a visionary and a genious. if his tracks go nowhere then i wish i could figure out how to get my tracks to go nowhere to.
I have no problem with him being a party animal, but i got a rebuttle-

If you paid $20+ USD to see him and he trainwrecked every other record would you not be a little agitated?