Live or Live??

- open
zarbeat
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Live or Live??

Post by zarbeat »

So I've seeing tons of recordings/flyers/youtube videos using the word Live right next to them it gets to the point that when I say to pleople I play Live(Vst's/Drum machines/Live cuts/and Midi Arrangements), they always ask me so you Dj?? is annoying ?? I guess my question will be: is there another way to advertise a Live performance on a flyer or recording ????

this is a clear example of it :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ44ckm5n3s

Clearly he is using Cd's to Dj ignore the dancers !!
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

nice girls !

but seriously, you expect people to know the difference between live and DJ ?!?

most of the people even dont know how DJing works .. you arrive with laptop, drummaschine and controler and ipad and such stuff and expect people to know what you are doing ?

i tell you a secret, your audience expects music. the guy in the front makes the music. the guy in the front is called DJ for the last 3 decades (or even more)

Your problem exists rather cause the audience doesnt have a clue about DJing, than DJs mislabel their youtube videos...

but anyway, just say you are a DJ .. its way cooler then "live artist"
Last edited by Themis on Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

if you go like this then they won't say 'oh so you dj'

Image[/img]
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

maybe its meant to note that the guy in the front is actually alive and present?
as in not dead or not making his appearance :D
(though I've seen lives where the artist(s) are nowhere to be seen)
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
jessejames
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jessejames »

before Ableton ever came out, "live" was used to denote a dj set recorded at a gig to differentiate between a "live" mix and a "studio" mix.

on a side note, I can't believe Paul Anthony is still headlining!
BeatBoxBaby
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by BeatBoxBaby »

The way I see it is that on flyers when they put LIVE after the name of an artist, it means actually that the artist plays his own production samples, loops, and other tools. So fortunately those who promote the events (order flyers) are aware of the difference between dj set and live personal appearance.

What's annoying however is posts in mix and set recording forums like "XY Live @ wherever anytime" even when the recording is of a dj set.

This happens sometimes even on this forum, but on another one I use regularly ALL mixes are posted this way (maybe except promo mixes).

I think to clear this up in people's minds should be the task of forum admins (on that forum) in the form of rules for posting. Then again another problem is, that most people don't read forum rules...
...:::I Looove this Place:::...
Narcisse2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Narcisse2 »

[quote="BeatBoxBaby"]

What's annoying however is posts in mix and set recording forums like "XY Live @ wherever anytime" even when the recording is of a dj set.

quote]

That is not annoying in any way.

It simply means that the mix is from a gig (hence the " Live @") rather than a studio mix.
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

it is VERY annoying in all ways possible. Maybe I don't want to hear a dj set but a live set huh? :roll:
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...