Djing Digital or CD?

- ask away
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

tone-def wrote:
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote: Scratch is fine. Absolutely wonderful to use. One thing i like about scratch & vinyl is the ability to quickly browse the track. No usb stick can do that.
if you plug the USB stick into the scratch system you can :D
Oh yeh! :lol:
revy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by revy »

i've been mixing with ableton for about 5 years now and am very satisfied (played vinyl for 5 years before that). not planning or desiring to switch to anything else anytime soon. the possibilities of what you can explore musically is vast, thanks to direct access to your hard drive and opportunity for layering, vsts, and more. and much more affordable than investing in good cdjs + mixer.

i dont notice too much of a difference in resolution of faders/eq with a controller vs. a mixer, and I doubt the average listener could tell either.

but in the end it really comes down to your personal pref, definitely try out both if you can. and knowing how to do both you can apply different techniques to each format :)
Myfirstcasio
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Myfirstcasio »

^ Thanks man

@ Phase Ghost - I have a Saffire LE sound card, I guess its best to get a controller with no soundcard but better build?

@ Phase Ghost - I like the look of the Omni but as I have a soundcard I could possibly go for the Stealth, what do you recon? Also, I'm in the Uk so I think the cheapest I will get it for is about £220, which is quite a lot, I have seen the stealth for about £190 is some places.
lcaise
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by lcaise »

if you can't afford turntables, one thing you could do for the time being is buy a cheap (but real) mixer and a midi controller to control the decks
If You can't afford turntables, You shouldn't be a dj.
facebook.com/lcaise.official
facebook.com/tanztonerecords
Dodie
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Dodie »

lcaise wrote:
if you can't afford turntables, one thing you could do for the time being is buy a cheap (but real) mixer and a midi controller to control the decks
If You can't afford turntables, You shouldn't be a dj.
Sorry, what does that even mean?
You want there to be a financial barrier of entry? Why?
Poor people shouldn't DJ?
I don't get your logic here.
swarlied
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by swarlied »

I am using ableton as a dj tool since a few years but what I realy do not like is the amount of gear you need to put on stage compared to just use CD or maybe vinyls. You need a notebook/mbp - interface and a controller. its always a little bit pain in the ass to setup all this especially on small stages / small underground partys / clubs. sure there is a allways a little room but for me its also allways a little bit stressy. The other disadvantage is the damn looking into a screen like you are checking emails when you search a new track for example. I realy do not like it too, and its also not very good your connection to the people and vice versa.

the big advantage is to setup your own build of effects and routing, there are possibilities way beyond just A/B-ing a CD or vinyl with fades and 3band-eq. looping, re-arrangement and even live-remixing in some cases adding samples and loops and stuff like that makes me not going back to conventional dj-tools. but I am still not satisfied, I am looking for a more natural feeling digital setup with a small controlling gear and WITHOUT using a screen, only ears and hands on controllers. I wish someday this will be possible somehow.
eMtEx
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eMtEx »

i use 4 decks on traktor wich i mix extern on my zero 8. all the deck controls and fx controls are mapped to my 2x xone 1d.
its just like a real setup to mix. midi sucks for eqing and faders, therefore i be happy to send all outs from traktor to my zero 8. i love to mix that way.
i came from cdj but i never was that happy. too many cd's to burn and such stuff. mixing with mp3's is easy . just been thinking if i should switch to serato scratch because ableton releases the bridge( a connection between ableton live and serato wich lets you play your .alp files directly in serato. any1 get expirience with this??
Cheaper
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Cheaper »

i switched back from Traktor to vinyl and cds.

Traktor is great but you tend to mix more with the use of your eyes than your ears...which isn't very good.
soundcloud.com/capsularecordings