Label that doesn't listen demo

- open
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

This is what i did-

A fella who runs a label came to play in my city one night. I had a cd of a few beats and when he was playing i reached over and handed him the cd.

He took it, looked at me, nodded thanks, and stuck it in his dj/travel bag.

Few days later get an email, 'we'd really like to work with you'

Even if you don't get the desired results, its a good chance they'll at least listen to it.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

15 labels is a lot. Can you really say you would be happy to be on all of them labels? I think more people should cut it down and aim to the labels they really want to be a part of and just work on getting on them.
ewinz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ewinz »

No, i've got it. Even better.

A company that sends demos for you. You pay of flat fee of 20-50 bucks a year and they try set you up with a label. Kind of like a dating site, but with a stronger stench of desperation.

They listen to the track, recommend any changes before its sent out (maybe even get it mastered for you for an extra fee) and then send it to the appropriate places and give the labels half the money or a set fee per demo. After that you get the feedback and maybe a record out. Everyones happy.

Its not romantic but its an idea. Feel free to use it.
Its called a manager, in my opinion. Its a good idea but it will be expensive ;)
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

. wrote:
pheek wrote:
Atheory wrote:i propose a new rule for all label owners.

to send a demo to a label you must first provide proof that you have purchased at least 1/5 of their backcatalogue.

The idea of sending a demo to a label whos records you haven't bought a few of their releases is nasty.
I totally agree. Its hard to sign an artist who wants to work with you without knowing anything of the label.
People sending demos to labels they don't know about... -boom WTF -ex
yeah i know! It happens like 50% of the time too!
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

ewinz wrote:
No, i've got it. Even better.

A company that sends demos for you. You pay of flat fee of 20-50 bucks a year and they try set you up with a label. Kind of like a dating site, but with a stronger stench of desperation.

They listen to the track, recommend any changes before its sent out (maybe even get it mastered for you for an extra fee) and then send it to the appropriate places and give the labels half the money or a set fee per demo. After that you get the feedback and maybe a record out. Everyones happy.

Its not romantic but its an idea. Feel free to use it.
Its called a manager, in my opinion. Its a good idea but it will be expensive ;)
Ha, yeah, well more like an agent. But without the 15-20 percent.

And the label could make money. Its not a perfect idea really, but something needs to be done.

I mean people used to pay for cds and covers and postage to send demos so, considering those costs are gone, why not pay someone to listen to them.
Dragonsand
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Dragonsand »

If a ran a label, if somebody sent me an astonishing track but did not invest himself and present himself to me, he would stay lonely with his music, I would not get back to him.

It's so easy to produce music nowadays, communication is so quick and everywhere that we need more real personalities. Music only is not enough anymore. The internet bulimia finally bores us.

If you are a good musician but without any personal aesthetics, I think you're just okay to sign on dustbin labels on beatport-only.

To be an artist is not just sending tracks on soundcloud, it's being somebody who have to speak with his heart to people and labels he particulary admires for their works and ideas.
sven laux
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sven laux »

100% agree