virus B

- ask away
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

boomstick wrote:
steevio wrote:
boomstick wrote:so, the nord lead 2x is preferable to the nord lead 3 for studio work? also, are there any major differences between the 2 and the 2x?
no not really, the 3 is a much more sophisticated machine. its easy to work with in any environment.

i'm not sure what the difference between the 2 and 2X is, google it.
it seems as though people agree that the DACs in the 2 make it sound warmer than the 2x. they also say it sounds duller.
i'm not so sure they sound any different. the 2X has more memory for storing user patches. i think thats about it really.
boomstick
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by boomstick »

tone-def wrote:
boomstick wrote:
steevio wrote:
boomstick wrote:so, the nord lead 2x is preferable to the nord lead 3 for studio work? also, are there any major differences between the 2 and the 2x?
no not really, the 3 is a much more sophisticated machine. its easy to work with in any environment.

i'm not sure what the difference between the 2 and 2X is, google it.
it seems as though people agree that the DACs in the 2 make it sound warmer than the 2x. they also say it sounds duller.
i'm not so sure they sound any different. the 2X has more memory for storing user patches. i think thats about it really.
im pretty sure that the DACs for lead 2s are 18 bit 44.1khz and the lead 2x 24 bit 96 khz. in the overall scheme of things, im in it for the cheaper of the two.
beam me up
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

steevio wrote: i think the earlier Nords sounded better, my Nord Lead sounds warmer, fatter and more analogue than my 3.
Interesting. In the technical rider for minilogue they request a specific type of nord. Probably to load a specific set of patches onto it... but it is interesting none the less.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
kronox
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: virus B

Post by kronox »

boomstick wrote:so, ive been intending to dip my toe into hardware, and ive seen virus Bs for very cheap, around 300 USD. i know, i know, they're virtual analog. i have heard that the B sounds much better than the TI. but, still virtual analog. i have been longing for a solid multitimbral hardware synth(with MIDI of course), and i want to know what you guys think of the virus B vs, say, stuff from Dave Smith, like the prophet 08(which i've actually seen people reviewing very harshly, and is too expensive for me). :(
Virus TI it's better than Virus B, more polyphony, it's a real beast , more functions, nice Fx, and sounds very warm and analog, we have a TI and a Prophet 08 in our Studio, i don't like the Prophet 08 a lot because a Prophet without Poly Mod isn't a Prophet, but it's a cool synth and you can make good stuffs, i like the Step Sequencer, u can control a lot of parameters, tune, filter, and more, the synth have a cool preset called The Model showing his power, we're in love with our TI and our Andromeda A6, they're amazing but the Prophet 08 it's a good synth anyway, it's amazing with Brasses and Basses like the Oberheim Matrix.
If u need a cool synth check the Virus B or a Micromodular, if u don't need Midi or CV get a CS-20, it's a cool synth, if u need some cheap synth check some Crumar models, if u like Fm synths check some Yamaha TX81z, it's cheap and cool, it's like a Dx11 but u can carry the synth easily . :D

if u like the Prophet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enokWVODuRY (and yes, it's true, we're freaks, don't fck with Van Halen ) :lol:
boomstick
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by boomstick »

virus ti is really expensive if i want knobs to turn..(snow has like three and still costs a chunk) :( but total integration would be pretty sweet.
beam me up
kronox
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kronox »

boomstick wrote:virus ti is really expensive if i want knobs to turn..(snow has like three and still costs a chunk) :( but total integration would be pretty sweet.
Yes, it's nice, works with the synth it's like a VSTi, but u can works with an ADSR with your fingers :lol:
It's very expensive but that synth worth every penny u must believe me.
daveashe
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by daveashe »

I had a virus b, its good for psy-trance (its very well known within the psy producers community) but i wouldn't say its got many minimal sounds in it as far as it goes, although i know there is a vast number of presets for it.

I really think its a trance synth more than anything to be honest.

I've got an andromeda, it sounds either other-worldly or like a really old analog synth (think 70's)

I think physical modelling synths and/or effect chains in the box are a better bet for minimal sounds, you get something totally different.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

daveashe wrote:I had a virus b, its good for psy-trance (its very well known within the psy producers community) but i wouldn't say its got many minimal sounds in it as far as it goes, although i know there is a vast number of presets for it.

I really think its a trance synth more than anything to be honest.

I've got an andromeda, it sounds either other-worldly or like a really old analog synth (think 70's)

I think physical modelling synths and/or effect chains in the box are a better bet for minimal sounds, you get something totally different.
i'll have to disagree with you there, just because psy-trancers like the virus b doesnt make it a psy-trance synth.
the presets are irrelevant, infact the presets in any synth are usually trancey, the first thing i do when i buy a synth is delete the presets.
theres no such thing as a minimal preset, and theres no such thing as a psytrance synth.

tbh theres not much point in buying a hardware synth if all you are going to do is use the presets.

the virus b is a versatile machine, you can pretty much get any type sound out of it that you can get out of most other synths, and more besides, the only issue i have with it is the slightly thin sound.

i used to have an andromeda, and i struggled with it for 2 years before giving up and getting rid. its was the most unintuitive, fiddly, annoying unfinished synth i have ever had. the menus and screen were abysmal, that machine held up my creativity for ages. i sold it and bought a Moog Voyager, it was the best thing i ever did.