Breaking my head!!

- ask away
Raddler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Breaking my head!!

Post by Raddler »

Okay I must be missing something...I've been listening to some top notch minimal tracks and I just feel lost as to how these guys pull it off. I mean there's percussion sounds flying around everywhere in perfect order all tuned perfectly, some sounds suddenly appear in reverse and somehow perfectly align with the other million sounds around them!! I feel it would take me a hundred years putting it together!! This post isn't so much about how they specifically do it, but rather what tools they might use.I know there's no magic tool, but I sure could use some advice. I know nothing about being a drummer, so i'm usually very mechanical in writing my loops. I do have Fxpansion guru with some cool swing settings, but even at that .... :cry: .Maybe i gotta start using my hands and start hitting some pads! Frustrated.
cytoplasm
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by cytoplasm »

i know what you mean, i feel the same.
do you use live?
you can record in arrangement view too, and by setting a loop you can overdub that one as much as you like. this way you can work up to the perfect loop and then strip it down for other parts.
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Re: Breaking my head!!

Post by Robot Criminal »

Raddler wrote:Okay I must be missing something...I've been listening to some top notch minimal tracks and I just feel lost as to how these guys pull it off. I mean there's percussion sounds flying around everywhere in perfect order all tuned perfectly, some sounds suddenly appear in reverse and somehow perfectly align with the other million sounds around them!!
well not really minimal then is it?
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Robot Criminal wrote:
Raddler wrote:Okay I must be missing something...I've been listening to some top notch minimal tracks and I just feel lost as to how these guys pull it off. I mean there's percussion sounds flying around everywhere in perfect order all tuned perfectly, some sounds suddenly appear in reverse and somehow perfectly align with the other million sounds around them!!
+1

also, not giving a sh!t helps.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
cytoplasm
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by cytoplasm »

Robot Criminal wrote:
yup.
raddler, bear in mind that a lot of "minimal" aint minimal.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

if you think their good try listening to Autechre.

if you want to sound like that you need to spend hours working on your beats and not just looping things.
Daemonix
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Daemonix »

tone-def wrote:if you think their good try listening to Autechre.
Heheh

+1!!!!
Ingemar
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ingemar »

also, not giving a sh!t helps.
+1

in my opinion the only thing that is holding you back from doing stuff like that is impatience. With the risk of sounding like a hippie, but if you have the will there is nothing stopping you. Set aside a few hours and get down to the nitty gritty and see how it goes.