TR 909 Trouble

- ask away
tbag
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

TR 909 Trouble

Post by tbag »

Hey,

I'm having some problems with my 909 lately, I use it mostly in Din sync mode which is hooked up to my soundcard and to my DAW. Alot of the times when im doing something like changing instrument the 909 goes a little crazy and changes scale and adds loads of random percussion which sounds crazy...

I've also been getting the same problem when i'm in track mode, it doesnt delete the previous track and just goes crazy when it starts playing.

I know a few people on here have one so just wanted to see if anyone has had this problem before, also if you could suggest a good place to send it for a service or repaid in Ireland or the UK that would be great.

Thanks,
D
omnipresence
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by omnipresence »

Don't have a 909, sorry, but maybe do an Autechre and find a way to utilise the quirks :lol:
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

ive never had the problem you mention, but at a guess i'd say it's probably one of two things, but i'm not an electronics expert so you really need to get it to a repairer.

power supply problems sometimes make machines go crazy, ive had it happen on two synths but not my TR909, however my power supply actually completely died on mine and i had to have it replaced, i can give you the guys number via message, but i need to check with him first to see if he doesnt mind me passing it on, he's a private repairer ( and he's very good )

it could maybe be your main processor chip, if thats the case you've had it bro, they are no longer available anywhere, i know because i searched for one for 3 months.

have you tried using it via midi ?

if your chip has gone, you can still use the machine as an analogue sound source by having it fitted with cv inputs etc. and i spoke to the guy at Analogue Solutions about it, he said he would have a go but couldnt guarantee success.( mainly because he'd never done it before, but its possible in theory)
the chip only controls the sequencer / midi etc. so the analogue circuits will still work indepenently.
tbag
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by tbag »

sh!t you have me worried now, i thought it was probably just in need of a servicing! Yeah I've tried it in midi mode and its the same.

It seems fine until it starts to play, like when i press play on my DAW the 909 begins to go crazy and once it happens if i stop the DAW the 909 freezes and i usually have to switch it off and on again...

Would really appreciate if you could give me your contact to have a look at it, its driving me crazy!
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

dont worry, wait till you've got a diagnosis,
i should see the guy today, he's fixing my sherman filterbank, i'll ask him.

is it working as a stand alone drum machine ?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

tbag,
message me your email address and i'll send you my fixer guys contact.