What makes a new tune innovative and exciting?

- ask away
STV
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

What makes a new tune innovative and exciting?

Post by STV »

First of all, this is my first post, so hello to everyone.
I am reading this forum since 2007, but never registered to write something.
In those days, im re-reading an old post, what constitutes boring minimal (and this apply also generally to techno).
Also, in lot of post it seems that the general opinion is that our favourite music is a bit stuck, and lack innovation.
So, now i want to reverse the question:
What do you think a producer had to do to make his track innovative and not boring?
What is, in your opinion, the right approach to sound and track design to make your music stand out?
I think for newbies hear the opinions of people very involved in the scene, like those on this forum, can be very inspirational.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

hello mate, welcome to the forum !!

here's my oppinion on it.

1/ dont try to emulate anyone else.
lots of people on the forum will disagree, saying that you can learn by copying, reverse engineering etc. but for me its the first rule.

2/ when composing dont start with the obvious elements first. its the quickest way to rigidity and cliche. if you start with a 4/4 kick, bang in the off-beat hi-hats and clap/snare on the 2/4, you've basically already written the tune, and everything you add from there on has no room to breath.
try starting with an interesting percussion pattern, and the main sound which defines the tune, and build from there.

3/ have a break from listening to whatever genre you're into for a while before composing. either listen to something you've never given a chance before, (jazz, moroccan gnawa music, gospel, skiffle......) or nothing at all, give your head and ears a break. i listen to the stream in my garden or birdsong.
go into the studio with a clear head, without the beatport top ten minimal ringing around in it.

4/ experiment.
Last edited by steevio on Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

steevio wrote:here's my oppinion on it.

lots of people on the forum will disagree, saying that you can learn by copying, reverse engineering etc. but for me its the first rule.

2/ when composing dont start with the obvious elements first. its the quickest way to rigidity and cliche. if you start with a 4/4 kick, bang in the off-beat hi-hats and clap/snare on the 2/4, you've basically already written the tune, and everything you add from there on has no room to breath.
try starting with an interesting percussion pattern, and the main sound which defines the tune, and build from there.

3/ have a break from listening to whatever genre you're into for a while before composing. either listen to something you've never given a chance before, (jazz, moroccan gnawa music, gospel, skiffle......) or nothing at all, give your head and ears a break. i listen to the stream in my garden or birdsong.
go into the studio with a clear head, without the beatport top ten minimal ringing around in it.

4/ experiment.
yeah Id say this about nails it. I think producing without the intention of getting something signed or sold is probably the best path to originality. It often breeds tracks people dont want to buy but the people that do buy them will appreciate them greatly and those songs will eventually become the newest sound or whatnot.
frickler
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by frickler »

steevio wrote:here's my oppinion on it.

4/ experiment.
really great advise for anyone i think! especially the dont copy part, whenever i tried to "copy" a track/style it turned into a disaster. just try to do what you liek and EXPERIMENT!
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i don't try and be innovative and i don't try to copy anyone. all i try to do is make funky music with character. innovation isn't something you can force, it happens by people just having fun and doing their own thing.

i'm sure their are thousands of potential innovators in the scene but there too busy trying to make the "in" sound.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

^^^
just listend to your new tracks there. can honestly say jazz tramp is one of the better house tracks i've heard this year. last few minutes are amazing.

as for the topic of being innovative, just make the type of music you'd like to hear i suppose, even if its easier to make stuff people will like/relate to more easily.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Atheory wrote:^^^
just listend to your new tracks there. can honestly say jazz tramp is one of the better house tracks i've heard this year. last few minutes are amazing.
:) thanks for your kind words, i've been in need of a little ego boost!
JonasEdenbrandt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JonasEdenbrandt »

I think steevio kind of nailed it.

I'd like to evolve the idea of not starting with the 4/4 basic rhythm. Usually when i used to make music i always started makin a 32 bar main part more or less and then made brakes and intro and what not from that. I would say try making a less obvious part of a track first. Like make a really intresting intro and see where it leads you or why not a brake that can define what will sound good before and after it.

Or why not just through all of what i just said out the window and just make a track that is just a intro or just a main part with no brakes or anything.