What is Minimal

- open
Sneaky
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Sneaky »

lol, guess some of you took me the wrong way, I was just looking for some interesting opinions on this genre.
jpls
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jpls »

hm...i had a reply typed out. then, a phrase came to mind.

fck it.
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

i like to think of myself as someone who knows what he's talking about when discussing minimal... and hell!... i 'know' what i'm talking about when discussing minimal, and i guess most of the people on this board who've been following the sh!t from the very beginning know what minimal is

for me there's a clear distinction
but once the term becomes too instutionalized, pretty much everything is called minimal... people just don't think... even if the word 'minimal' is pretty much self-explanatory, people still swallow any kind of crap that can be effortlessly digested

style names once popular become brand names and as the masses (i know it's an ugly word, but it exists) like pre-chewed food, it's really easy to distort a term for the sake of green bills

look at what happened to electro, most people who use the term don't even known the first thing about electro
when i explain them that electro grew from the hip hop scene begin 80's they look at me as if i'm from another planet... wel sure, they weren't around when africa bambaataa and jonzun crew were kicking it... they only know Dj Hell and Ms Kitten... Minimal will head for the same direction once big companies enter the game

it's no longer about what 'is'
it's rather about what people think 'is'
and the latter is easy to control once you control the right channels

conclusion: just do your thing and don't worry about definitions
definitions get sucked into the system and get boxed into nice packages
just play some good music and push the good stuff wherever you can!
Sneaky
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Sneaky »

Thank you dsat for taking the time to share your views :)