Question about kicks

- ask away
lcvl
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by lcvl »

I completely agree with damagedgoods.
Best post of the year, IMO.
Check my sig for a kick sample pack created mostly with the technique damagedgoods is talking about (a bit of sample layering as well).
Dubby music & free samples http://leocavallo.bandcamp.com
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

yeah this threads been great. really helpful for getting those extra few percent out of a kick or a track.

overanalysis can be good though, because people can feel free to take as much or as little of the information as they need.
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

IMO a kick drum can never be over-analysed, it's the backbone of techno as we know it; but it depends on what sort of music you make I guess.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Torque wrote:
Anyhoo....
Tuning a bass drum is easy. If a bass drum is hard to tun then most likely its a pile of sht anyways and you should dump it. If all else fails there are plenty of kick drum samples that don't totally suck.
What? :|

You know you really want to take that statement back.

All you have done throughout this entire thread is either knock a technique and render it useless or say how easy it is to do this and that.

End of: Nothing else.

Why even post?

:?
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

AK wrote:
Torque wrote:
Anyhoo....
Tuning a bass drum is easy. If a bass drum is hard to tun then most likely its a pile of sht anyways and you should dump it. If all else fails there are plenty of kick drum samples that don't totally suck.

All you have done throughout this entire thread is either knock a technique and render it useless or say how easy it is to do this and that.

Why even post?

Excuse me?... i did state a technique for getting more out of your kick drum. Kick drums are not a thing that techno is short on, there are about a bazzillion kick drum samples and machines with perfectly good kicks. A kick drum is not an innovation and it's not the backbone of this music. It is extremely easy to get a good kick drum as long as it's tuned and eqed to fit in the mix. Maybe it's just me but it's something i never sweated.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Torque wrote:
AK wrote:
Torque wrote:
Anyhoo....

Why even post?

Excuse me?... i did state a technique for getting more out of your kick drum. Kick drums are not a thing that techno is short on, there are about a bazzillion kick drum samples and machines with perfectly good kicks. A kick drum is not an innovation and it's not the backbone of this music. It is extremely easy to get a good kick drum as long as it's tuned and eqed to fit in the mix. Maybe it's just me but it's something i never sweated.
Yeah me too. Kick drums are easy.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Torque wrote: A kick drum is not an innovation and it's not the backbone of this music.
i wish more people thought like this.
mnj
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mnj »

anyone who says that probably has shitty kicks.