Minimal scene - locally

- open
Kathy
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Minimal scene - locally

Post by Kathy »

Custard wrote:
pheek wrote:I've been interested in getting a view of the worlwide minimal scene but I don't think I'll ever have the time and cash to go everywhere to know how it is. I would be great if everyone could talk and describe how is their scene in their hometown. Be frank, relate good and bad points. Who's the heros, what are the clubs, trends... etc. Any info is fun to know :)
Forget about my hometown and all bigger cities around it!
Trance and Hip Hop rule my region. Unfortunately...

But I'm sure that Russia could be really interesting, when I think about names like Helga (hope she's russian), Kubikov, Meshkov and so on...
where do you live in germany? :D

what i can say about mnml scene in germany is that its very dependent on the region...

anybody know that berlin has a very big mnml scene and a special ambience.
i've lived in west germany, the scene there is, as custard said, very mainstream...furthermore there are a lot of good mnml partys with famous and local DJs. The choice of partys where you can go is very huge i think...the result is that the ppl are very "spoiled". mostly you get just a good party if you book one or two famous DJs, otherwise the party will be a flop because of the huge choice of clubs. there are only a few clubs that can exist with a local line up...

but now, i live in the netherlands...
so far, i can say that in the east there isnt any scene?! i just know 2 clubs where are techno partys from time to time...atak and metropool...its great pity that i cant go out here :( if there are any other partys i don't know anything about, let me know it!
the scene in amsterdam and the rest of holland is nice, for sure...but until know i haven't the possibility to go out there.
Dragonsand
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Dragonsand »

Lille, France (and France in general) :

Boring.
Most of the clubs are about bad music or the new electro-house scene.
Paradoxally, there are some good French labels, like Minibar, Roman Photo, etc. But, except for Rex Club and Batofar sometimes in Paris, it is too difficult to find some interesting places. Only the BIG BIG names play sometimes in Paris (and the French guys like Cabanne, Seuil...), but a big amount of well-known/not so well-known artists never come here just because they can't be booked! (but they play in Holland, Italy, Switzerland...) People who like it are really too few and dispatched insignificantly in France to create a real community.

My country is late for a lot of things...
laurens
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by laurens »

isnt the mnml scene a more international thing anyway as it is not always as crowdpleasing as other genres? antwerp is a bit messed up because of white snow... but concepts like subscape mimazu and spiegeltent are moving things more forward atleast and getting good response for it.
dz_nuts
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by dz_nuts »

LA...the scene is healthy. of course theres good healthy & bad healthy. But majority is good for music in general. I wouldnt consider the "scene" here narrowed down to minimal, its better classified as techno.
This place seems to be a melting pot of transplants from all over, only a few are originally from here. Overall, theres something to do. From a night at a club, a dark n dirty warehouse, to outdoor locations, rooftops, backyards, we be ravin.
Theres a small tight group of people out here that appreciate good music, period and we're always down to show out of town guests a good time.

some clips

local am fun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyV6hV160YU

warehouse madness
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLqw7odXP6s

tiefshchwarz backyard bbq
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX6EUkREmkE
you had me at bLOOp...
electric_flower
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Prague, Czech republic.......

Post by electric_flower »

well, genearally can say - sucks.

very few producers across country... DJs as well. parties? except big names (Sven will play on April @ Prague, Karotte @ Brno...) there is nothing interesing or unsual.

in Prague is good party called Bubbles minimal night, but unfortunatelly its just every second month...

in Brno is great one party called Magion (5th anniversary this year) which hosted names such as Dapayk, dOP,... and of course, just every second month.

mnml is not profitable here for promoters... people usually dont like that sound .. trance is the right one here :[
maxeinsoul
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by maxeinsoul »

Lille, France (and France in general) :

Boring.
Paris is not that boring. It's not Berlin, sure, but still, cool enough for me to miss great parties. Rex Club is great, well, I'm going there once a week. Seen Laurent Garnier, Dettmann, Klock, Deep, MyMy, James Holden over the past few weeks, and still, as I wrote, I've missed a lot : Larry Heard, Octave One, Konrad Black... Rex Club is good music, but not sometimes, quite all the time.
Then Batofar. Went there two weeks ago, saw Koze and Audion. Luke Vibert was playing the night after. It's in a boat, you can smoke on the terrasse, not too expensive (compared to other places in Paris).
Djoon in pretty good if you're into deep house. If I'm right, Shonky, and Ame played there a few days ago, Dennis Ferrer is playing next week.
There are other clubs in town where you can find nice parties, Bataclan, Elysée Montmartre, Folies Pigalle, Concorde Atlantique during the summer... Just have to look for it.

I remember going to Rex Club on my own, without knowing who was playing and finally see Carl Craig and Kerri Chandler, or Lawrence and Argy. I can not complain, it could be worse.