What Minimal Techno Means for You? in one sentence.

- open
motf_118
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by motf_118 »

mini cooper?
mqX
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mqX »

minimalism started way back before 2000.

the first time i was introduced to minimalism was around 2000 with one of richie hawtin's sets. Back then minimalism was heard all over his sets using 909 sounds all in the way "less is more". IMO, minimalism has it's roots in detroit techno, as detroit techno was strong enough to fulfill the needs of minimalistic music. Also, minimalism was almost only heard in fast techno.

[EDITED]
Then, somehow, it was Richie Hawtin himself who introduced "minimal" and minimalism in new way. He started doing very slow and different music. At that moment he still lived in the CANADA. But that new music style didn't found much responce. [/EDITED]

Then minimal was kinda dead. Nothing special was out there, IMO. (Still the minimalism was alive and growing in techno genre)

Richie Hawtin then moved to Berlin where he said the people are more open minded for new music. He was playing in lots of underground and private parties and got good response.

Then around 2005-2006 "Minimal" get it high fly with the min2MAX tours by minus artists. At that time i was wondering what this is all about. I said, it just very good techno (using minimalism style and being a bit slower). However the minimal genre was born and everyone jumped on the train.

The minimal genre then was exploited to its max. Everything that was just slow techno was categorized as minimal. And minimal lost more and more its minimalism style.

Today, when i go through all as minimal categorized music on beatport, a lot i listen to is just sh!t (to name it directly). I rush through the new releases and only listen to the first 1-3 seconds (the later seconds don't get better anyway) of the preview and pick out the best (yes i buy music!). And sadly its only 2-3 tracks a week if not less.

Minimalism is about the HOW.
Minimal about the WHY.

BTW. ...I don't want to start here how much music is wrong categorized.

So, if you want some words for minimal:

"Slow and simple music"

My first post in this thread is about minimalism anyway.
However i myself call it minimal. :)
Last edited by mqX on Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

mqX wrote:minimalism started way back before 2000.
For me it started with Robert Hood and the Cologne guys (Wolfgang, Reinhard Voigt plus others)....
pSsp
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by pSsp »

john clees wrote:
pSsp wrote:I when i'm composing minimal i can get feel for how best to communicate to people.
gosh - to me all this time I thought it was about channeling your (own) inner emotions.. art before music kind of approach...

perhaps that is where it took a turn... everyone is trying to cater to everyone else / other trends / and sound like other people..

:?
I see where your coming from, music is definitely first and foremost an expression of self, but for me music is also a conversation with others, understanding the art of conversation is essential for making music accessible to others. Ive made hundreds of minimal tunes just for myself and not intended for anyone else , im just trying learn how to slightly adapt my approach to translate better on the dancefloor. an artist has gotta try be understood if he's to make some sort of an attempt to make a living.
shh pSsp
K0$+3k
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by K0$+3k »

Concept of minimal/minimalism exist on the fine arts dictionary from fifty years now,so all these arguments about reinvent minimal by Richie Hawtin Sturm,or any musican,are far overstated and secondary.
mqX
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mqX »

K0$+3k wrote:Concept of minimal/minimalism exist on the fine arts dictionary from fifty years now,so all these arguments about reinvent minimal by Richie Hawtin Sturm,or any musican,are far overstated and secondary.
right, but i guess we speak about about modern minimal as today music genre. ;) It's much slower then all the stuff pre-2000..

while reading about minimal techno i stumbled over an interesting article on wikipedia.

"By the second half of 2006, the term 'minimal' had in many ways become contradictory, as it serves as a denominator for the tech house sounds of the moment, many of which should rather be coined as 'maximal' in terms of their sonic content, in contrast to the original stripped down, i.e. minimalist electronic genre."

Now, this is very interesting!

I'm all for another sub-genre "maximal". Most of the stuff i like would more likely to fit in this definition. hmpf. lol
K0$+3k
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by K0$+3k »

mqX wrote:right, but i guess we speak about about modern minimal as today music genre. ;)
You have right ,but discussion came about "minimal",so we can't create precedent (some kid reading this may think that Richie H. invented the concept),stylistics of music and visual arts are twinned,so...
mqX wrote:"By the second half of 2006, the term 'minimal' had in many ways become contradictory, as it serves as a denominator for the tech house sounds of the moment, many of which should rather be coined as 'maximal' in terms of their sonic content, in contrast to the original stripped down, i.e. minimalist electronic genre."
Yes.There is big giant gap between mnml house and mnml techno(indicating to the second),and even bigger between mnml techno and real mminimal(music).
And second thing:If you will be able to create definitions (sentence) about any movement in art(music too),that will be sign to beginning to end of it.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

K0$+3k wrote:.There is big giant gap between mnml house and mnml techno
Lot's of people have different ideas about what is minimal house and what is minimal techno so i don't think the gap is that big. to me pure house and pure techno isn't actually that different.

all these genres are doing my head in. it's all house, it's all techno, it's all minimal, it's all electronic dance music blah blah blah....