mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

[PLUS8102] Mike Shannon - Memory Tree

Post by sonofradiator »

PLUS 8 RECORDS proudly presents

MIKE SHANNON
MEMORY TREE
PLUS8102 CD, 2x12”, WAV, MP3

It’s been 10 years since Mike Shannon started making a name for himself on the international techno scene as a DJ, producer and label owner. Now, having recently relocated to Berlin he’s crowning his first decade of active service with The Memory Tree, his third LP in all and the first for another notable Canadian export – Plus 8 Records. Anyone who knows his previous two albums will already be aware that Shannon’s music covers a broader spectrum than just minimal techno. In fact 2005’s “Possible Conclusions To Stories That Never End” was awash with downbeat electronica, highlighting a natural instinct for fusing rhythm and melody whatever the style or tempo. Although “Memory Tree” follows a more club oriented trajectory it retains much of the emotional response generated on “Possible Conclusions” and is all the better for it. As a result Shannon has put together a collection of tunes that are simultaneously dark and soulful, stays true to his roots while embracing the future and never fails to deliver a flurry of kick-ass, funk inflected beats.

Beyond Incubation ushers in the album like distant headlights approaching over a hilltop. The flickering efx slowly solidify around a lush, bass heavy groove that transports the exquisite chord sequence ever closer, offering a transitory glimpse of what lies ahead, before dissolving into shadow. Mercury Mile continues the assent with a long beatless intro dominated by a wash of static interference and squirming synths, while the molten bass and tough, angular snare lend the groove a cool electro flavour. It’s mix friendly, deeply atmospheric and a useful tool for breaking it down and
spacing things out before the sultry beats finally kick in.

After the expectation generated by the first two tracks, we finally reach maximum velocity with Wolf Module, a raw, acid tinged exercise in route one techno. The stripped down beats and racing hi-hats thrash out a treacherous path into the unknown accompanied all the while by a dark, growling main riff that bares its jagged fangs during the breakdown. From then on the bassline storms into focus and Shannon simply hits cruise control and lets the funk flow. Enero takes the foot off the pedal slightly before gradually flowering into a beautifully structured piece of uplifting techno, conjuring up a wealth of superlative dancefloor memories in the process. The shuffling percussion slowly reveals a timeless melody that takes its place centre stage, flanked by soft rising pads that stimulate the head and the heart. It’s a classic summer tune of an ilk all too rare at present, which should become the focal point of many DJ sets over the coming months.

Love Fry is a pivotal, stand out moment on the album, occupying the middle ground between the contrasting musical aspects of Shannon’s work. On the one hand - the dark, engrossing synth lines full of ecstasy and menace, on the other - the soulful, jazz influenced elements that add colour, light and a tinge of nostalgia to his work. And right at the heart of Love Fry they collide like two shifting tectonic plates throwing out a mountainous terrain that suddenly levels off into an expansive plateau. It’s a masterstroke made all the more impressive by the chameleon like bassline that morphs through all manner of twists and turns before the wind chime fx add a tactile, new dimension to the mix-out.

Shannon smoothes out some of the preceding edges as we enter the second phase of the album with Uno Para el Sol chilling things out considerably. Straying briefly into the realms of deep house, it
resonates warmth as a deftly played rhodes drift across a shimmering sea of percussion and soft chords soothe like a cool costal breeze. The original version of Dr X continues the vibe with another deep, melodic percussion sequence that bubbles seductively under the surface. Accompanied by dirty, splayed hi-hats and a chugging bassline, the laidback groove keeps the party rocking as classic techno chord stabs exploit the space between the beats, intertwining with a haunting melody that recalls the intro track to create a rich, effervescent atmosphere.

As the album draws to a close Regalos de Pandora lets fly with another perfectly crafted riff that echoes out into infinity. Shannon effortlessly applies a syncopated jazz rhythm section and more evocative chords to create a deliciously restrained track, ripe for the 6am shift when the crowd collectively switches to automatic. Finally Closed Question rounds off the album in style with homage to all things Detroit. It’s a characteristically bold finale that encapsulates everything that so refreshing about Memory Tree - intuitive beats, evolving arrangements, homogeneous sounds and melodies...it’s all there. In a nutshell, Mike Shannon has created an album of extraordinary depth and composure that will burn brightly in the techno firmament for some time to come.

...and there’s more! Two exclusive digital tracks - La Tentation and Japanese Censorship lie in wait in cyberspace, completing the collection in tough, uncompromising style.

Artist: MIKE SHANNON
Title: Memory Tree

Tracklisting: CD

1. Beyond Incubation - 5:34
2. Mercury Mile - 7:00
3. Wolf Module - 6:06
4. Enero - 8:44
5. The Love Fry - 9:46
6. Uno Para el Sol - 6:08
7. Dr. X - 6:25
8. Regalos de Pandora -7:56
9. Closed Question - 7:11

2 x 12"

A - Wolf Module - 7:04
B - Enero - 8:44
C1 - Uno Para el Sol - 6:08
C2 - Regalos de Pandora - 7:56
D1 - Dr. X - 6:25
D2 - Closed Question - 7:11

Digital Only Bonus Tracks:

La Tentation
Japanese Censorship

Catalog#: PLUS8102
Label: PLUS 8 RECORDS
Distribution: Wordandsound, MDM, Beatport, m-nus.com
S-Max & Spatial
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71085/

facebook.com/schmorgasbord
sonofradiator
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by sonofradiator »

Shannon is here to bring some justice back to the streets of Plus 8 (I hope!)
S-Max & Spatial
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71085/

facebook.com/schmorgasbord
v404
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by v404 »

Wow! Never thought I'd see MS on Plus 8 but needless to say, I'm stoked for this!!
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

v404 wrote:Wow! Never thought I'd see MS on Plus 8 but needless to say, I'm stoked for this!!
Yeah, Mike has been hunting down Rich for years. I'm happy he made it happen!
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

pheek wrote:
v404 wrote:Wow! Never thought I'd see MS on Plus 8 but needless to say, I'm stoked for this!!
Yeah, Mike has been hunting down Rich for years. I'm happy he made it happen!
didn't see that coming either, but happy for Mike, always good stuff from his hands :)
Dantron
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Mike Shannon

Post by Dantron »

One of my favorites...I must say I'm excited to hear some samples :D
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Thomas D and Jack Thomas »

If it's half as good as his remix of "Everything's Electric" then we're in good shape. Need something to offset the shitty Carola releases of late.
Lub
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Lub »

Really looking forward to this one!!