number of downloads/income from beatport

- ask away
S.D.L
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by S.D.L »

jessejames wrote:When I finish browsing through beatport, I mark the date on my calendar. Then the next time I go there, I start where I left off so nothing is missed. I listen to each track for about 3-5 seconds. If it doesn't grab me, I move on. If it does grab me, I'll check out more of the track, listen to the break, etc and put in my crate. When I'm ready to buy/download, I listen to all the tracks in my crate about 3-5 times each and really decide if I wanna buy. Usually I'll delete about half of them seeing that I either won't use in a set or a mix. Sometimes I'll keep tracks for listening. For example the Matthew Dear Spectral release. I can't see myself using the majority of those in a set or mix, but I like the music and will listen to it.
Almost the same way as my work flow..
Crimson Chamber Music
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Crimson Chamber Music »

Anyone else of the label owner here want to share their view of things on selling digital releases and profit and maybe promotion?

ahem - back to topic ;-)
It's a tekno/electro/housemusic
myspace.com/EdwinKatzer

too much quantization can seriously harm your groove,...
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

quite interesting how people are talking how they buy their tracks.

When I first started buying vinyl years ago, I'd be in my friends shop day in day out, searching and listening, it was never a chore, and sometimes I'd go to a few others just in case.

I also got sent promo's which certainly helped !

After a while though I started more finding out about the artists, the word from the scene and stopped taking suggestions from the guys in the shops, I also stopped buying htings just ebcause they were new, in fact sometimes it became all about collectign back cats of labels I liked.

this meant I went from buying lots of records, to very few, other than when I was being a completist about certain things (BC/DC/CR/Studio1 etc)

eventually I started mail ordering them directly from hardwax etc because I chose not to be limited to what distributers were managing to sell onto my local shops.

So really - If I was to use something like beatport etc, the last thing I'd do is wade through all the new releases hoping for any random finds.

I have a good network of friends who know me well enough to know what direction I like to take things, knowing also that it's very varied and can more often than not be IDM or ambient, or sometimes quite heavy industrial techno or anything inbetween.

but the point is - I never find myself short of new music, and If I really felt that I wanted to try something else - I'd likely find some people who were into that sort of music and ask their opinion rather than randomly ploughing through it all, I work in research , and you normally find it's better to ask someone in the know than try to find all of the answers yourself sometimes.

Nowadays I buy hardly any music at all, A lot of my friends are literally swamped with it, and normally I'll end up getting stuff from them, I'll listen to their suggestions and anything I really like - I go buy it, If not - I'll delete the file.

so the last hting I'd do is buy anything based on charts or for example what beatport lists as being new, I mean - apart from anything else, they want to sell you music, their interpretation / classification / reviews often fall very , in fact IMO drastically short of what they are trying to sell, and often - just because something is popular, it doesn't mean it's going to fit into my set, so I'd always trust more what I read on forums or hear from friends than anything any of these sites tell me and then If I really want it badly enough - I try to get it directly from the artist or from a local recordshop, about the only mail order shop I like is hardwax.

I don't own a credit card, so I've yet to buy a digital file, despite selling them myself :) hehe,
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Crimson Chamber Music wrote:Anyone else of the label owner here want to share their view of things on selling digital releases and profit and maybe promotion?

ahem - back to topic ;-)
There is money to be made from digital releases. My latest one did 1000 downloads and it didn't get into the top 10. The way FOF see things is the digital side of thing normally pays for the remix, but vinyl is there as the main format and as my preferred format to release on. If you can get in contact with Beatport and set up a deal so its exclusive to them they will do there hardest to put your releases in the 'recommended' section as well as having big banner supports on the main page, which will obviously do wonders for your sales.

Promotion for digital stuff I would suggest sticking to the internet. Just put posts up on boards like this one letting people know that your release is out.
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

That's good work man you will need to share your promotional secrets :) heheh
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

::BLM::,

how much do you pay remixers? if not a secret...
Measax
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Measax »

so I am a digger. I dig beatport, juno, track source, discogs, records shops, net labels etc, i hit charts, listen to set bla bla, and I get some promo stuff from friends putting stuff out and all that...

with all that said Beatport is the best for getting music asap because you can have it set to download automaticly which i prefer... i hate crate check out... sometime I only end up getting one track somethime 10... but either way its a way long process. and then you don't know the dl is going to work or what if a connection error. Beatport does a good job of linking stuff also... and I love there is a tone of sh!t on there because it means you have to dig...thats what its all about... but I can't understand why artists release in that format except for exposure....all 3 days of it. I think most people make their money djing etc.

However, I believe people that want to make money on sales should consider doing vinyl only... I look for those vinyl only labels and I buy them at 10-20 bucks any day because I know they are more exclusive. Another thing though - why don't labels just sell the tracks from their websites... and get 100% profit... or the artist for that matter.. then it just comes down to you marketing the music... then afer a few months of that - release it on beatport???
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

Measax wrote:so I am a digger. I dig beatport, juno, track source, discogs, records shops, net labels etc, i hit charts, listen to set bla bla, and I get some promo stuff from friends putting stuff out and all that...

with all that said Beatport is the best for getting music asap because you can have it set to download automaticly which i prefer... i hate crate check out... sometime I only end up getting one track somethime 10... but either way its a way long process. and then you don't know the dl is going to work or what if a connection error. Beatport does a good job of linking stuff also... and I love there is a tone of sht on there because it means you have to dig...thats what its all about... but I can't understand why artists release in that format except for exposure....all 3 days of it. I think most people make their money djing etc.

However, I believe people that want to make money on sales should consider doing vinyl only... I look for those vinyl only labels and I buy them at 10-20 bucks any day because I know they are more exclusive. Another thing though - why don't labels just sell the tracks from their websites... and get 100% profit... or the artist for that matter.. then it just comes down to you marketing the music... then afer a few months of that - release it on beatport???
I dont know about other label owners But I work fulltime have a kid and wife and would like time to produce my own stuff so welling on our website wuld take WAY too much time for marketing to make it worth while.