making things sound close to you...(?)

- ask away
Keagan
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

making things sound close to you...(?)

Post by Keagan »

you know how sometimes you listen to a track with vocals in it and the vocals sound really close... kind of? Like the person is right there whispering into your ear, or something.

Is this just the way it's recorded (I am working with a sample here) or is there a trick that i don't know about? Tried messing around with stereo imaging, panning, some other things... and I kind got it but not quite...

hmmmmm
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

make the rest sound far
Keagan
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Keagan »

excellent idea....
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

dont get me wrong i dont wanna sound like a smartass...

but closeness is a relative thing right? its gotta be close compared to something else. just like loud and soft, big and small etc....

stereo imaging is part of the solution, but the most important for the task is the use of perspective enhancers (delay and reverb). i suggest you study reverb in-depth, make sure you learn all of its common applications and how it affects sound depth-wise.

what i would do is mult the vocal on two mono channels, hard-pan them, then start adding micro delay to the right channel, say up to 12mS or so. if it sounds too dry you may use a small room setting on it, but nothing long-tailed. then whatever else you got in the lower mid-range of your track - keep it center and apply a darkish hall to it to push it backwards. this is just one of the many ways to do it, maybe someone will give a better advise.

some basic rules of thumb:
close --> louder, with more high freq. content than low, brighter, dry.
far --> softer in volume, more lower freqs, darker sounding, wet.

hope thats of help/
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

some more i remembered, reverbwise:

more predelay --> far-er from the walls of the (imaginary) room, hence closer to you (the listener).

less predelay --> closer to the walls of the room, far-er from the listener.
Keagan
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Keagan »

absolutely superb. Thank you gentleman...
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

Yeah it's all about volume adjustment and also, putting an emphasis on the mids will help a lot.
tzusing
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tzusing »

IMHO i think you should use compression. compress the hell out of the vocal track and it will really stand close up and in ur face.