The Minimal artistic ideal

- ask away
sauce
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by sauce »

Sometimes I hold the door open for old women, at the bank or what not. Then, as they walk by I put my leg out and trip them.

I don't really do this, I just felt the need to contribute to the nonsense.
..::ArenaRockForAndroids::..

http://soundcloud.com/danieklerr
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

I think the whole term "minimal" has been turned into a farce. It's not descriptive of the music. It's all just techno music and techno is all just house music and house music is all just dance music. The term "Minimal" isn't even a noun, so if something is "minimal" it's minimal ---------What? The marketing term of "minimal" should be fine for the masses that come to the parties, get drunk, go home and fck but i find the prospect of a bunch of upstart dance music producers falling for the slogan a bit disturbing. If you just forget about trying to sound anything like anybody else your natural sound will come through. The producers like Robert Hood, Jeff Mills, Richie Hawtin and a few other planted the seed that will be felt in the music for years to come but those cats didn't get where they are by trying to sound like other people. If you stick yourself inside the minimal box you will be no better than a parrot repeating the phrases that they laid down years ago and will not innovate, will not leave an imprint and may be heard but will not be listened to. Where's your sense of adventure?
thelibrarian
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by thelibrarian »

Take a lesson from Rock Music. There is Hard Rock and Soft Rock. People never say they like Rock. They say Punk or Metal. Hard Rock or Soft Rock. Prog Rock or Classic Rock. Techno is doing the same thing. Minimal is just an odd term for a fairly odd genre.

The reality of it is, "minimal" techno is just techno. Usually slower and more subdued. I enjoy techno. I don't enjoy hard techno.

Techno,
The Librarian
BOKAL RECORDS
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by BOKAL RECORDS »

Torque wrote:I think the whole term "minimal" has been turned into a farce. It's not descriptive of the music. It's all just techno music and techno is all just house music and house music is all just dance music. The term "Minimal" isn't even a noun, so if something is "minimal" it's minimal ---------What? The marketing term of "minimal" should be fine for the masses that come to the parties, get drunk, go home and fck but i find the prospect of a bunch of upstart dance music producers falling for the slogan a bit disturbing. If you just forget about trying to sound anything like anybody else your natural sound will come through. The producers like Robert Hood, Jeff Mills, Richie Hawtin and a few other planted the seed that will be felt in the music for years to come but those cats didn't get where they are by trying to sound like other people. If you stick yourself inside the minimal box you will be no better than a parrot repeating the phrases that they laid down years ago and will not innovate, will not leave an imprint and may be heard but will not be listened to. Where's your sense of adventure?
so true!!
codecks
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by codecks »

Torque wrote:I think the whole term "minimal" has been turned into a farce. It's not descriptive of the music. It's all just techno music and techno is all just house music and house music is all just dance music. The term "Minimal" isn't even a noun, so if something is "minimal" it's minimal ---------What? The marketing term of "minimal" should be fine for the masses that come to the parties, get drunk, go home and fck but i find the prospect of a bunch of upstart dance music producers falling for the slogan a bit disturbing. If you just forget about trying to sound anything like anybody else your natural sound will come through. The producers like Robert Hood, Jeff Mills, Richie Hawtin and a few other planted the seed that will be felt in the music for years to come but those cats didn't get where they are by trying to sound like other people. If you stick yourself inside the minimal box you will be no better than a parrot repeating the phrases that they laid down years ago and will not innovate, will not leave an imprint and may be heard but will not be listened to. Where's your sense of adventure?
+1
minimal my ass !
filthypitcher
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by filthypitcher »

The 'minimal' art, is the discrete representation of the analogue world we live in.

Art mimics the age of technology that we live in. In the 1400's people painted portriats of others because there were no cameras.

Now we are in a digital age, an age of discrete data transfer to create a bigger picture.
Art now mimics this.
thom
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thom »

Interesting view.

I'll think about that today.... and maybe a bit more after dinner.
tzusing
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tzusing »

Torque wrote:I think the whole term "minimal" has been turned into a farce. It's not descriptive of the music. It's all just techno music and techno is all just house music and house music is all just dance music. The term "Minimal" isn't even a noun, so if something is "minimal" it's minimal ---------What?
a part of me totally agrees with you. but the irony of this whole situation is that you are on MNML.NL. So that minimal in the url of this forum must still mean something to you.