definition of progressive

- open
maartin
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

definition of progressive

Post by maartin »

Hi there,
I'm writing an article about the progressive in EDM. It is toppic which is really very interesting, because i think there are two ways how we can define it.

At firs it could be an adjective, which means something new in music, something which make the music more underground from many commercial genres..

The second way is that progressive is divided into many genres, and it means that is not adjective but the genre like progressive house/trance/breaks/dnb and so on.

so what do you think, am i right?? ...u can hepl me with this when you write here your opinion, as wel as I.

By the way i have read the article from wikipedia and from another sites, where it is someting similar

thanks
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

progressive is, going forward one step and going back two steps :P
4am
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 4am »

as far as i know progressive started in the early 70s with rock groups like: genesis, jethro tull, deep purple, rush etc...

i see things a little bit different: progressive is not divided into many styles, i would rather say that almost every style (rock, house, techno etc..) can be progressive. and by progressive it is meant that the focus of this music is in the progression, or in other words on the evolution of the primary groove/melody/rythm...

for your article i would suggest to have a look also into those directions and then maybe compare/develop with progressive in electronic music and in idm...

hope it helps :wink:
primevil
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by primevil »

4am wrote:as far as i know progressive started in the early 70s with rock groups like: genesis, jethro tull, deep purple, rush etc...

i see things a little bit different: progressive is not divided into many styles, i would rather say that almost every style (rock, house, techno etc..) can be progressive. and by progressive it is meant that the focus of this music is in the progression, or in other words on the evolution of the primary groove/melody/rythm...

for your article i would suggest to have a look also into those directions and then maybe compare/develop with progressive in electronic music and in idm...

ditto 8)
maartin
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by maartin »

4am wrote:as far as i know progressive started in the early 70s with rock groups like: genesis, jethro tull, deep purple, rush etc...

thanks for your comment 4am ;)

it would be great if u want to help me with an article ;) ...respect ;)
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

Progressive seems like a decent adjective for the internal structure. It could be argued that it refers to having a full melody that progresses, but I would never say that any "prog" had progressed from what came before it.

There is a bit written about prog rock and house/edm/etc on wikipedia. I find using the term as a genre is among the most pretentious things one can do in labeling music.
freeeeeee
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

+1 :wink:
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

progressive: not quite trance, but similar enough to keep me far away from it
:D