field recording

- ask away
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

eklar wrote:so far i haven't had an option but to use CHEAP stuff, but i've really enjoyed the results; i always like tape, so even using a crappy minitape recorder has produced some interesting stuff and you don't have to worry too much about dropping it.
The other thing i was able to get my hands on was cheap mp3 thing that recorded to wav. It had no auto-gain feature which sucked sometimes as it distorted very easily, but i got a whole bunch of bus sounds that were completely distorted and crunchy and perfectly suited for some noise stuff that i'm into.

the less i need to carry around, the better. i don't really want to have to point a mic around.

you also create noise music?
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
eklar
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by eklar »

yes > some drone/ noise based stuff.
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

ah,drone...i thought ur into harsher stuff. 8)
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

mlexicon wrote:i sometimes leave the recorder on in the living room when i got peeps over....

ppl say the darndest things
I went camping once, left my unit recording in amongst my clothing, etc, took off for awhile on my own and came back and listened and heard some folks trash talking my significant-other at the time.. it was quite amusing.
eklar
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by eklar »

actually, yes!-- some harsher stuff as well.
Some beatless and just more "droney", but some also very distorted stuff, some with beats and some just freestyling with feedback and a distortion pedal.

I just generally throw all that stuff under the term noise. =]

i used to take the little recorder to work and secretly record talking to people in the lunch room and also in the workshop. Great for odd speech, hand tool sounds and clicks and pops.
robert lowell
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by robert lowell »

has anyone heard/seen the german made microphones that you wear like head phones. (price is $389 or something US) the name escapes me but i read in a article about an artist that used them to capture soundscapes.
cyhl
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cyhl »

robert lowell wrote:has anyone heard/seen the german made microphones that you wear like head phones. (price is $389 or something US) the name escapes me but i read in a article about an artist that used them to capture soundscapes.
they're called binaural mics........ you can find cheaper ones than these by just googling a bit... that's actually what our artist fidget used to do her field recordings that we released in unfields01: http://www.mnml.nl/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1856
bobdelux
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

big bad booming bugs

Post by bobdelux »

has anyone recorded insect sounds? ive been wanting to record them and run samples thru RBass or MaxxBass. BIG BAD BOOMING BUGS looks like fun. Ages 6 and up.