Getting more groove from my Tr-707 using Ableton.

all things.
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Getting more groove from my Tr-707 using Ableton.

Post by pafufta816 »

i run my 707 through 2 kaoss pads. i play the drum parts live using the instrument buttons, mangle with KP2 and then loop on the KP3. i almost never use a sequencer, drums parts with lots of "feeling" are played by hand.
Phurniture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Phurniture »

If you are using different audio input channels for some sounds, would it be possible to play with the Track Delay on for example the snare/clap to move it a bit back or forth from the rest of the sounds? That's a technique I use with the internal drum instruments. Use in conjunction with the other suggestions, such as a delay on the hihats. Cheers.
Dal-Tech
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dal-Tech »

eggnchips wrote:Hey chaps,

The 707 is quite a static machine with not much groove so I am thinking of ways of getting it grooving a little more by somehow effecting the input signal within an Ableton channel.
Say I have the hi hats going into a channel. By using Ableton effects or possibly Max, can you think of anyway of making the input audio a little more random therefore grooving somewhat more?
I have Max but haven't looked into it yet although maybe an LFO effecting a GATE could be a solution?
I recommend the Linn 9000 if you can find one. The samples have more punch and the sequencer is swinging, it has a nice feel. An Akai MPC-60 is good too.

The 707 is great for old Chicago house or DJ Rush type stuff.
Dal-Tech wrote: Everyone else is trying to be cool, not me.
hey everybody : I'm a douche !
dirddey_iddler
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dirddey_iddler »

steevio wrote: the reason i asked above about what clock inputs the 707 has, is because if it has any sort of analogue clock input you could swing the clock before it gets to the 707. i just dont know the machine
this kind of machine you mean could be realized with ACME
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

dirddey_iddler wrote:
steevio wrote: the reason i asked above about what clock inputs the 707 has, is because if it has any sort of analogue clock input you could swing the clock before it gets to the 707. i just dont know the machine
this kind of machine you mean could be realized with ACME
what i meant was i dont know the TR707. i dont know what inputs it has.
dirddey_iddler
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dirddey_iddler »

oh okay,

maybe i got you wrong. sorry

With ACME you are able to create an analog or digital (midi) timing signal which can be shifted before or behind the even clock timing of your master system. You can create or use preset shuffle patterns and apply them to machines that dont have good swing capabilities (e.g. shifting the clock triggers like the shifting of patterns in a 909). ACME starts on 1/4 Bar or 1 Bar (have to check it) later to get the possibilites for time shifting (lacking of a time machine :P )

TR 707 has Midi Sync, Trigger Sync and Din Sync capabilities