going from logic to ableton > any tips for an ableton noob?

all things.
slavink
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

going from logic to ableton > any tips for an ableton noob?

Post by slavink »

Hey y'all,

I've been a Logic Pro user since 5 years and a ProTools user before that,
I'd like to dive into Ableton now, but the workflow is pretty different, can't really get my head around it.

The way I work in Logic is pretty much audio-based, just placing bits of audio on the timeline.
All the tonal aspects of a track I do with soft synths so that's pretty much the same in the same in all DAWs i guess.
But I rarely use soft synths or samplers for drums, just audio.
I must say I don't really understand the concept of the clip launcher.

Does anyone has some tips or good tutorials to share?

Allright thanks
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: going from logic to ableton > any tips for an ableton no

Post by steevio »

dont do it :)

but if you must, the onboard tutorials are ok
Mono-xID
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Mono-xID »

steevio wrote:dont do it :)
why not?
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

slavink wrote:Hey y'all,

I've been a Logic Pro user since 5 years and a ProTools user before that,
I'd like to dive into Ableton now, but the workflow is pretty different, can't really get my head around it.

The way I work in Logic is pretty much audio-based, just placing bits of audio on the timeline.
All the tonal aspects of a track I do with soft synths so that's pretty much the same in the same in all DAWs i guess.
But I rarely use soft synths or samplers for drums, just audio.
I must say I don't really understand the concept of the clip launcher.

Does anyone has some tips or good tutorials to share?

Allright thanks
the tracks you see horizontally in arrangement view are the same tracks you see vertically in session view
(obviously).
the thing is, in session view you can launch only one clip at the same time per track, but they don't have to be at the same line horizontally.
So let's say you put your bass in track 1, and your lead in track 2.
you put the verse A clip of your bass in the first clip slot, and then the verse B clip of your bass in slot 2, and the verse C clip in slot 3, and so on.
you do the same with your lead.
now you can play verse B clip of your bass track at the same time as verse C clip of your lead, just by clicking their play buttons.
you could never do that with a simple linear time arrangment like in the arrangment view, because obviously clip B would be a lot further down the line than clip A.

for obvious reasons, you usually want to play verse A of the bass with verse A of the lead, and verse B of the bass with verse B of the lead.
that's why you put them in the same horizontal row of slots, and a whole horizontal row of slots is called a "scene", you can launch all clips in one scene by clicking the play button at the far right of the horizontal row.

you can stop all scenes from all tracks by pusing the stop button at the bottom right.

hope that helps.
it's really very intuitively
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

before I worked with Live, I had cubase, and I still laugh with how complicated something with cubase was compared to how simple something was in Live.
I mean, just for opening a VST, you had to drag and then scroll and then click and...
all in all maybe 6 or 7 different actions.
In Live, all you had to was doubleclick on the VST in your library, and Live would do it all automatically : open a new MIDI track, load the VST in there, and arm the track.
I'm sure many DAW's have copied a few of the intuitive things Live has into their own system by now, but back then (7 years ago) it was day and night difference for your workflow.
I can see Live being overrated a bit for the moment, and suffering from its own huge success, but I still think Live's the most intuitive DAW there is.
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

Live has good workflow and is easy to use although its efx especially the reverb are not too good. I have heard that Logic's built in efx are great.
You may have to invest in a good VST reverb and Eq.
If you are using audio samples, make sure that you check out what type of audio is selected in the box at the bottom of the screen - beats for beats, complex for other stuff et etc.
I also wish Live had a better view of the timeline for piecing audio together. It's a bit small.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

You left pro tools for logic when you mostly work with audio? Are you mad? Pro tools audio editing is head and shoulders above logic. The only reason anyone would leave pro tools for logic is for soft synths.

As for ableton, I'd wait for bitwig which is coming very soon.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Mono-xID wrote:
why not?
i really dislike Ableton on many levels.

i find it weird that a one time protools user would end up on ableton some day.