going from logic to ableton > any tips for an ableton noob?

all things.
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: going from logic to ableton > any tips for an ableton no

Post by livecollective »

steevio wrote:
livecollective wrote:come on now i said if known musicians wouldnt use software even if you paid them then they sound like wankers... i think goes for everyone in every sort of scenario.

its not to do with the money either just the principle. to be that oppose to something that you cut yourself off from it completely, something so benign and also a part of your passion seems off to me. whatever. I respect you guys... just a bit surprised with the logic here.
its not so much logic, but the inadequacies of explaining yourself properly on a forum without being missunderstood.

i intially reacted to the statement 'Don't care about sound quality'

i'm afraid no matter who says that, i will react to it, it goes against everything i've ever learned about music, and everything i stand for.
i am with you on that. 100%.. Missed that bit of interaction.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

livecollective wrote:
i am with you on that. 100%.. Missed that bit of interaction.
thats where all this came from, thats what got me wound up, ableton is great tool for some people but not everybody, sometimes it seems like its the only show in town, i think its healthy to question these things, it only helps improve them.

i'm sure we are all on the same spreadsheet here, we just want to make music with all these fanatastic tools available to us, but we have to speak out when something doesnt work for us, ive given some current hardware just as much a hard time recently, but when i think back to some of the boxes ive used over the years, things are way better nowadays.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

..and the positive thing for me is that because it didnt really work for me, i abandoned that approach and focussed more on getting better at playing live so i dont need to worry about mixing sh!t later. result all round for me. :)
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

:)

you learn as a young jazz musician to mix yourself. :D
5meohd
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by 5meohd »

steevio wrote:..and the positive thing for me is that because it didnt really work for me, i abandoned that approach and focussed more on getting better at playing live so i dont need to worry about mixing sh!t later. result all round for me. :)

this is exactly where I'm at, or rather, what I'm working on. However, I am using live 8 and maxforlive with the maschine and the eurorack modular + a small console lol. I think Live should never really be written off because at the end of the day it can always be stripped down to a host with very MODULAR capabilities.. the routing scenario is just phenomenal and with the lfo, sequencers, gate/trigs, and env followers in maxforlive it just got a thousand percent more interesting.

my setup is at a similar price bracket as if I'd just done it all with eurorack... not including the cpu/software for recording or editing or forum trolling (-)

I could also drop live personally and just stick with maschine if 1) they supported multi-core so I could run my plug-ins live 2) when I save up and get a couple multi-effect racks..

and on that note.. with a decent interface I think Ableton could actually be a really cool multi-effects processor no? I mean some of these newer boxes are claiming 2ms latency... that might be better than some of the older outboard digital multis.

I personally think spice is the variety of life.. at my ideal weekend festival I'd want to see it all.. a dude using just a laptop, a dude using just a modular, a band with guitars, mixed media visuals, and every mish mash in between.

I'm just glad to be growing up in this time period where everything is becoming so blurred and open ended... it just works for my personality!

long live rhythm and atmosphere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!