Monitor Decisions

combination thread.
Harry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Monitor Decisions

Post by Harry »

oblioblioblio wrote:that is a bad size and shape room for a studio.
i'm in exactly the same position, my new room is almost exactly those dimensions, and i also have HR824's which were absolutely perfect in my old studio, but dont work in my new one, but i'm not going to blame the monitors, its purely down to the room.
I've just remeasured and it's more like 3.6 rather than 3.5, unfortunately this room is the only room i have to work in, so let's hope i have a better experience than you've had man. Got any tips for making it sound better? I'm going to be working in the corner of the room, so the wall behind is the full 3.6 away from me.
steevio wrote:The Adam F-series are somewhere between hi-fi speakers and studio monitors - not overly flattering, but the Yamahas will be more clinical
I didn't realise that this was the case, all the reviews and info i've read on them have sold them as monitors. Not too sure what to think now.

Maybe i'll just stick to what i know and the HS80s. It would be nice to get the A range from Adam but it would take me so long to save for them, the Yamahas are much more realistic price for me
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

the room I was in was probably more like 1.8 by 2.5, the desk reached over the bed. ouch!
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Harry wrote:
I've just remeasured and it's more like 3.6 rather than 3.5, unfortunately this room is the only room i have to work in, so let's hope i have a better experience than you've had man. Got any tips for making it sound better? I'm going to be working in the corner of the room, so the wall behind is the full 3.6 away from me.
yeah that wont make any difference, its basically a square room, fatal for a studio and working in the corner is the worst place to work.
i agree with obliobliolio, you may end up spending money and be really dissappointed.

acoustic treatment is the only way, and working in the middle of one wall not the corner.

i'm no expert on acoustic treatment, but you'll probably need bass traps, there's other guys on this forum who've done this before, maybe search it.

one thing that always helps is soft furnishings, (sofas, beds, etc..) the more in the room the better.
Mono-xID
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Mono-xID »

Get yourself some decent headphones,learn them inside out and produce on low volume.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Harry, Yamaha have just released an update to the HS series. HS5 (replace the HS50), HS7 (new) and HS8 (replace HS80). I'm going to give the HS7 a try but won't get them until early July.
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

tone-def wrote:Harry, Yamaha have just released an update to the HS series. HS5 (replace the HS50), HS7 (new) and HS8 (replace HS80). I'm going to give the HS7 a try but won't get them until early July.
I have had the HS8s for about a week now. Loving them. They sound awesome.
kenah
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kenah »

I have the Adam F7, good sounding little monitors:)
isaaclevy
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by isaaclevy »

how about the M-Audio BX8 D2?
has anyone an opinion on these?