stereo speakers

combination thread.
mehta
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: stereo speakers

Post by mehta »

second-hand is the way to go. you probably want to audition the speakers before you buy them anyways. I found a pair of beautiful phillips speakers for $30 - it seemed like they had barely been used since being purchased in the late 70s ...
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

what about carboot sales? i used to go with my dad and we were always lugging home speakers.
80-90's are a good generation of big hi-fi speakers.

its been ages since i toyed with hi-fi, but I used to have an amp with seperate a/b level controls. positioning changes the sound a lot aswell. i used to put some aiwa speakers on the floor, behind the sofa which gave a really subby sound and a pair of infinite baffle pioneers for the tops either side of the decks. Sounded pretty huge and both sets of speakers were less than £20 at the boot sale.
i still have them actually.

I also had this early 90's technics graphic eq that made everything sound better even at flat settings.

If you can find any, i had one memorex speaker that was totally kicking. my friend had a pair of a different model that were also really nice. i have always thought that all memorexes must be good.

A friend of mine actually mixes thru a set of those behringer 8" mons. and while i would never produce with them, they are actually pretty bassy and nice to mix through. plus built in amps.
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

jackbrazzo wrote:Try KEF - like those floorstanders. :D
My former neighbour who happened to be a producer always raved about his KEFs, 104 I think they're called? I'm sure he was even talking about putting them into his studio and using them as his monitors instead of the Events he had at the time...

I second everyone else in that it seems to be pretty easy to come across cheap, quality second-hand speakers, I think it's just cos the days when everyone had a hi-fi system in their living room are coming to an end. I know a few people who've found perfectly good hi-fi speakers lying out on the street, in fact my old flatmate once found a pair of Philips speakers just near where we lived, that were the same type my dad had on his late-80s Philips hi-fi!
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

I have a soft spot for 70's Hi-Fi (especially since my gear addiction doesn't leave me with enough cash to buy new hi-fi stuff).
I was lucky enough to find a "nutty professor" type of guy not too far away from where I live who repairs old hi-fi amps and speakers. He knows quite a bit of all that old stuff, and repairs all kinds of different brands like Marantz, Pioneer,...
Doesn't even ask too much for it either. :D
Right now I have 4 old hi-fi amps now, and 3 pairs of speakers.

If you can find them, try the Pioneer HPM 60's, or even better the HPM-100's.
They're basically the same except that the 100's have a bigger sub inside.
The 60's go for around 200 to 250 euro's a pair. The 100's go for around 400 to 500 euro's.
They are excellent speakers for all kinds of music, but also for electronical music, which to me was obviously important.
You can't go wrong with a pair of HPM 60's.
kristofason
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by kristofason »

Ive got a pair of Kef Coda 111's, I love em, I use them as my monitors along with my akg 702's...for a pair of old speakers passive they sound quite true!!
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

thanks guys for all the recommendations

most of my mates had Kefs back in the day, i always had Wharfedales, ive still got a small pair of Wharfes, but i need something with bass
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

I used to like my Gales but they got stolen, not really up on hi fi type speakers, in fact, I have some sony ones sitting in a cupboard that require an amp and I don't even know what amp to get co's I'm too backward. -smurf