Proto Techno, New Beat, Leftfield Electronica

wax addict.
moodyl
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Proto Techno, New Beat, Leftfield Electronica

Post by moodyl »

Belgium New-Beat, Leftfield Disco, 80s Techno?

https://soundcloud.com/moodyl/discomix

It's all here, cobbled together from tracks plundered from random places and people.

So, I have decided to go back in time. I have a good collection of Leftfield Disco, Disco Not Disco, 80s NYC stuff & European oddities but filling a mix with the not so obvious tracks is going to be tough, so it took me around two years of visiting lots of music shops in places sch as Reykjavik, Istanbul, Riga and other strange places.

Once returned, edited and whittled down, this is the result.

Excuse some of the sound quality, most of the tracks are touching 30 years old. there are a couple of newish numbers in there too but I think you'll find it tough to tell them apart.

Tracks from the likes of Yello, Front 242, The Erotic Dissidents, Fatal Error and more.

The mix is dark, angular and brooding, set at 115 bpms there is plenty of space in the music as it has an overall dubby feel.

Enjoy.
Philsen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Proto Techno, New Beat, Leftfield Electronica

Post by Philsen »

-everything you think, do and say
is in the pill you took today-
:zager and evans:

-life is of the nature of water:
it always seeks the deepest place,
which is always below in the darkness
and heaviness of the earth.-
:c.g. jung:
moodyl
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by moodyl »

hope ya like it.

took me a while to get the tracks and then programme the set in a way i am happy with.

a lot of the tunes, you could probably get away with dropping into a set today, it would be quite a suprise for a crowd if they knew somehow they were listening/ dancing to tunes from the 80s.

I would love it if anyone else has done a similar set or if anyone knows of any sets in a similar genre/theme.
Philsen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Philsen »

I like your composition of the tracks, ... espacially the first half is very good imo. You can hear that you know what you want and that you are into this kind of stuff! ;)

I must say, i dont know some other sets or artists who play that sound at the moment, even it is not so easy to find anything similiar to your style ... i like that sound, dont have much stuff myself, but know most of the tracks in the first half of your mix ... not which artist, but i know them, heard them here and there ... and i think i will dig' deeper now ... disco, italo, nu, leftfield, 60'70'80's in general, are always genres that i'm watching ... but i'm not really into it ... maybe you can bring some light in it, maybe with a playlist!? Feel free to PM me ... ; )

best!
-everything you think, do and say
is in the pill you took today-
:zager and evans:

-life is of the nature of water:
it always seeks the deepest place,
which is always below in the darkness
and heaviness of the earth.-
:c.g. jung:
moodyl
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by moodyl »

Philsen wrote:I like your composition of the tracks, ... espacially the first half is very good imo. You can hear that you know what you want and that you are into this kind of stuff! ;)

I must say, i dont know some other sets or artists who play that sound at the moment, even it is not so easy to find anything similiar to your style ... i like that sound, dont have much stuff myself, but know most of the tracks in the first half of your mix ... not which artist, but i know them, heard them here and there ... and i think i will dig' deeper now ... disco, italo, nu, leftfield, 60'70'80's in general, are always genres that i'm watching ... but i'm not really into it ... maybe you can bring some light in it, maybe with a playlist!? Feel free to PM me ... ; )

best!

I'm away from home at the moment but when I get back I will pm you a tracklist.

These tracks are from the beginning of Dance.

A lot is known about how the scene broke in the States, esp Detroit with the The Belleville 3 but a lot of people don't realise they they were taking major influences from the sounds coming from Europe in the mid 80s.

Europe, esp Belgium had it's own hugely popular thing going on, with thousands of people attending the venues that played the sounds. Tracks during the period were selling 10s of thousands and this was with out any commercial airplay from radio stations, the broadcasters were state owned and they saw what was happening in the UK with the Acid House explosion and did not want a similar occurrence in a deeply Catholic country.

Thanks for the feedback.

I hope it qualifies to be included in a Techno forum, I think so.