FARRON (AKA LACHRIZ) - CLAYDRUM 058 PODCAST

- dj/live pa

Moderators: John Clees, Benjamin Fehr, Tim Tor, Thomas Melchior

LaChriz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

FARRON (AKA LACHRIZ) - CLAYDRUM 058 PODCAST

Post by LaChriz »

Farron is an artist from Munich. He uses multiple aliases (LaChriz, Farron, Quiem) to release a wide variety of productions that varies from ambient to banging techno. He has released on labels like Ilian Tape, Out-Er and he recently started his own label called Shaw Cuts. For Claydrum, Farron decided to record an exclusive live jam with loads of unreleased material. Want to know more about Farron? Read the interview below with Farron and Claydrum resident Thomas Vrijhof.

T: Hi Chris, congratulations on the new label! What made you decide to start your own label?
F: Thank you very much!
I've had the idea of running my own label for around 2 years, but I couldn't afford starting it and I was also kinda scared to do it. But the more I've thought about it and planned it in my mind, the realer the whole idea and concept became. I just wanted to discover the side of the label owners, be more independent, follow my musical vision and taking care of other artists that I find interesting. It's all pretty exciting for me at the moment and I totally enjoy that new adventure.

T: The new label is called Shaw Cuts, the EP is called Have Sword, Will Travel and the description on SC mentions that Farron is your new ‘shaolin moniker’. Apart from that you also have the MMA (Mixed Munich Arts) in your city. Where does this fascination for martial arts come from and is it in any way related to your city?
F: Well, I think I was 10 years old when I bought 'Enter The Wu- Tang (36 Chambers)' and went totally crazy about it, although I didn't really understand anything. The whole raw vibe, the power and also the martial arts samples out of these old movies were something that really fascinated me. Some years later, I think it was Arte that started showing Shaw Brothers movies every friday night and I loved it so much. The whole aesthetic of these movies, the colors, the mood, everything. These movies somehow influenced me a lot and I started diving more into the Shaw Brothers production and checked out lots of their movies. I'm trying to make reference to these movies in the sound, the artwork, the titles of the Eps, the press texts, the label name and also in the label logo. I'm a big fan and it would be nice if Shaw Cuts can put new light on the old movies of the Shaw Brothers.

T: The first release on your own label was as Farron and not as LaChriz. What made you decide to create this new alias and why use this alias for the first EP?
F: I was just tired of that name and felt like it doesn't match to my sound and style anymore. When the first record on Shaw Cuts was in the making, I thought that this is maybe the right moment to change it. I don't wanna say that I will never release under LaChriz again, but at the moment I just wanna keep on releasing under Farron. Maybe another alias will come up, who knows.

T: What can we expect from you and the label in the future? Any upcoming releases that we should be on the look out for?
F: The next release is already in the pressing plant and will hopefully come out in the end of 2015. It is produced by Kaelan and I did a remix version of one track, which is included in that podcast. Regarding to the label plans for 2016, I don't wanna say too much now, but I'm already forging out plans. I'm also thinking about Shaw Cuts label nights in the future, which would be awesome! But let's see. Besides my own label, I'll release a 12" on Subosc Ltd soon! Keep your eyes and ears open.

T: Any last words?
F: I've finally finished my master studies in the subject art and cannot wait to focus more on music now. Lots of studio time and hopefully more gigs after my long break. I can definitely say that I'm super motivated to create and to play!
I also wanna thank you for having me on your podcast series. I had a lot of fun recording it. And also thanks to anybody who supports Shaw Cuts in any way. I really appreciate it.