Post by patrick bateman »

ImageImage

Artist: Pheek
Title: Out Of Confusion EP
Format: Vinyl 12”
Cat.No.: TTT 005
Releasedate: 25.05.2005
Tracks: TIC TAC TOE RECORDS
- the Danish label for high end minimal house and techno – is back with it’s 5th release.

We love Canadians. And we’re not the only ones. Our second release featuring Jeff Milligan and Mike Shannon triggered a widely positive response – and now we’re proud to introduce yet another interesting persona from the land of the maple leaf: Pheek aka. Jean-Patrice Rémillard.

On this release, he serves us with 3 tracks – plus a remix by Tic Tac Toe label boss Patrick Bateman and Danish 3rd Floor label owner Martin Decara.

First track, ‘Mannheim 20002, plummets the audience into space, on a fast ride with abstract sounds and great noise. A warp speed tunnel ride to Mars or Mannheim - whichever destination feels more alien.
‘Sinking’ is a more straight forward quirky and funky track, with all the click’s’n’pops that makes it perfect for that minimal clicking DJ set.
‘Charisma’ is full of crispy, reverbed space birdy-ish sounds. A soundtrack for the Mars – or Mannheim – explorer on the lookout for other life forms.
The remix by Martin Decara and Patrick Bateman takes ‘Charisma’ into an 8 minute clicky and deep dubby journey.

Jean-Patrice Rémillard was born in 1972 and already as a toddler he was attracted to music. Perhaps the most important discovery for Pheek was when his babysitter gave him a Bee-Gee’s record for his birthday and he was introduced to dance music.

Pheek became interested in acid house in the late ’80s and raves in early ’90s, inspiring him to DJ his own radio shows in Sherbrooke, Québec. From his college years to university he introduced techno, house and anything exciting to people whose ears weren’t as close to the ground. Upon moving to Montreal in 1997 to study computer science, Pheek met Mateo Murphy and found they shared similar musical interests.
After performing a show with Gez Varley, Mateo and Pheek decided to work on a live concept of their own, based on improvising beats on the fly and mixing in other synthesized sonic textures. It was at this point that Jean-Patrice adopted the name of Pheek after a Richie Hawtin/Plastikman performance at Medialounge, a show that would forever change his perspective on music.

Pheek is a part of the Epsilonlab media collective, and has released several MP3 releases and CD’s on Epsilonlab and Thinner (another MP3 label). This year Pheek is really taking off, and has a track on the just released Triple Compilation from Richie Hawtins label Minus, a track on a little 12” compilation on Telegraph, a split EP with Vivianne Projects on Jay Haze’s label Contexterrior and now also the whole EP on Tic Tac Toe.

Reviews and feedback:

Karmarouge Records / Cologne
It's definetly my favourate TTT-release! It's as minimal as possible and I love Pheek since I listened to his Thinner releases. The A2 track 'Sinking' is my fav, followed by the remix of 'Charisma'. Very good stuff my friend!

P.Toile / Trenton Records - Berlin
I really like the remix of Charisma. Good stuff.

Dave Martin / Technique - UK
It's awesome, a different direction again but equally sick!

Laurent Garnier / Fcom - France
3/5 points, he plays A1

Martinez / Out Of Orbit
Really wicked deep and flowting deep techno although I'm kind of missing a "stand-out" track to make the EP really interesting. Both "Mannheim 2002" (A1.) and "Charisma" (B2.) are wicked tech-workouts and my favorite cuts on this 12inch!" 3/5

Frankie / Frankie Records - Paris
I like the EP very much. Original tracks with a specific atmosphere also the remix is good. Mental, minimal, deep with clicky sounds and always groovy. Especialy the B2 I like and will play it asap!;)

Luciano / Cadenza - Berlin
I used it last weekend, and it's rocking. Very cool for the dance peak time moments

De:Bug Review
Eigenwilliger Track dieses "Mannheim 2002". Mindestens so eigenwillig wie der Titel. Das ist mehr eine Impression, eine Skizze in breitwandigem dubbigem Rave, aber grade das macht es so interessant. Klassischere kurzgehacktere Sounds und trocken plockernde Rhyhtmen dann auf "Sinking", dass weit im Hintergrund mit Soundeffekten aber auch alles andere als sparsam umgeht und auf der B-Seite dann Orginal und Bateman und Decara Remix des minimal-schleichenden "Charisma". Etwas klassisch und unauffllig aber sympathische Platte.
****-***** bleed

Electric Indigo / Indigo:Inc - Austria
4/5 points, she plays A1, A2 and B1
bazz001
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by bazz001 »

sounds great! sinking and the charisma remix probobly my favourites, good stuff!
fredrik_h
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fredrik_h »

my favourite is the mannheim2002 track I think, everything was good though. But I'm a sucker for weird lofi'ish/abstract sounds (in this case, the pad-texture thingie) ... it makes me visualize and feel something organic which is sort of living by the side of the track - really nice stuff!

keep it up!

ps.
this ought to be one of pheek's harder releases?
ds.
isa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by isa »

beautiful! charisma is a killer 8)
alfox
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by alfox »

can't wait to check this out :!:
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

thanks for the positive feedback! Great to see that some people like Laurent Garnier and Luciano played my stuff... :D

And yes, this is my "hardest" release yet but not my last. Wait til you hear the stuff I will put on Archipel's vinyl dept. :wink:
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

Yeah just got a chance to listen and it sounded really tripped out. If i see this Ill pick one up :wink:
fredrik_h
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fredrik_h »

looking forward to hear that! good work with archipel btw.
pheek wrote:thanks for the positive feedback! Great to see that some people like Laurent Garnier and Luciano played my stuff... :D

And yes, this is my "hardest" release yet but not my last. Wait til you hear the stuff I will put on Archipel's vinyl dept. :wink: