Reboot kickdrums. How to make?

- ask away
Minimus
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Reboot kickdrums. How to make?

Post by Minimus »

I really like the Reboot kick drums and i'm trying to make it a long time.
This kick are really deep and full punchly. They sounds so cool!
For sure there is a long attack and short decay in volume envelope. But this is not all!
My results are good, but not perfect and for sure something is wrong.
My best result come from put a little bit down freqs of a middle tom and layering it with a short kick. Pitched a little bit down at the end of it and for sure eq with around 500hz hard cut.
But in this way the kick is deep but loose the power punch.
Compressor doesn't help me.
Some tips about?
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Re: Reboot kickdrums. How to make?

Post by John Clees »

layers of different types of kicks, 2-3-4.. very subtle adjustments of volumes and pans.
make 4 on 4 hh touches, all as a melting pot in the background..make something that YOU create....
don't follow what someone else does.. develop your own playground..
play with sound..

you're trying to also create something that would come out through mastering a record as well so...
therefore it's impossible to attempt even try give you an accurate response in my opinion...
it would all just be based on assumptions..
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Ok someone's gotta ask.....................What are reboot kickdrums?
Minimus
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Minimus »

John Clees wrote:layers of different types of kicks, 2-3-4.. very subtle adjustments of volumes and pans.
make 4 on 4 hh touches, all as a melting pot in the background..make something that YOU create....
don't follow what someone else does.. develop your own playground..
play with sound..

you're trying to also create something that would come out through mastering a record as well so...
therefore it's impossible to attempt even try give you an accurate response in my opinion...
it would all just be based on assumptions..
hi there and ty for tips, i'm trying in this way,
but i don't agree totally with your ''don't follow what someone else does''
i've not asked about a copy and paste of a kick drum (this is what i call ''following what someone else does'')
i've asked about the technique of result, and this is not a copy, or a limitation of creation, IMHO, because using the same technique of other producers, sometimes helps to be better in production and is possible edit the technique as you like and as you want. ;)

now about the mastering process of track, i agree that professional master give a contribute to the better sound, but for sure is not only a question of mastering and layers.

AK wrote:Ok someone's gotta ask.....................What are reboot kickdrums?
ehm you can listen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A20lGTUfGlc
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

Afaik Reboot used the electribe esx and a vermona, but probably has many more drum machines. Miami acidlab, mfb 522, maschine? Who knows... If i was you i would isolate the hits and analyse them with a spectrum analyzer. Viewing them in an audio editor will help too.
dirddey_iddler
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dirddey_iddler »

okay,

i know you don`t want to read that. But forget about his drums. Make your own stuff. You are just a bad copy instead of something new.

Also you don`t know what kind of EQ, compressors he use. OTB or ITB? Thats an important issue.

Reboots material you could hear is mastered too. So digital or analog mastering?

Dont waste your time with those questions and have fun to make your own tracks.

Use typical drum packs (Goldbaby etc.) compress them, eq them, etc. If you work ITB clipping must be avoided!!
joe987
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by joe987 »

To me it is just a really simple kick drum with the bottom end removed in the beginning and then he introduces the bottom end later.

At the beginning of the track it seems kind of like a Villalobos kick.

I agree that you should just play around with different drum sounds with different effects on, you may even make a kick drum that sounds a lot better.
AnonMusic
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by AnonMusic »

1. The youtube video you gave is terrible quality so it's hard to hear
2. The beginning just sounds like a regular kick drum with with a higher hz componenet
3. At around 0:52 it just sounds like he increased the decay time on the kick, giving it more bottom end.