Minimal Tech adventure out of the box, suggestions?

- ask away
Muskman
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Minimal Tech adventure out of the box, suggestions?

Post by Muskman »

Decided to have a pop with a bit of minimal techno sounds, in the vein of Tale of Us. My current set up is Logic 9, Live and Reason with a Juno 6 and a few instruments laying around. I've decided I need some synths for leads, arps and to generally get more creative out the box. I'm thinking of buying a Waldorf Blofeld and a Nord Lead 2x to get me started, coupled with a few outboard fx like stereo verb and maybe some delays. What's people's thoughts on where to start out the box?

Ben
KrisM
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Minimal Tech adventure out of the box, suggestions?

Post by KrisM »

Are you sequencing from ITB? I like the Emu XMIDI 1x1, it's $25 on Amazon, $30 tops brick and mortar.

With a Juno 6, Nord Lead 2X and Blofeld at your disposal, plus whatever else your 'a few instruments laying around' is, you'd have a lot of synth power OTB. VA sounds and wavetables, though there'd be a little overlap, I wouldn't worry.

FX, that's a huge arena. You could grab some used stereo guitar pedals on the cheap(ish), you could go nuts with Eventide racks, take it a little easier with Strymon or Eventide pedals, or you could go with Neuntaber which allows you to freely flash their stereo pedals with any firmware, so you can test out their delays, chorus, reverbs, etc. I'm GASing pretty hard for a Neuntaber Wet myself. And someone will hopefully chime in after me to suggest yet more effects I haven't even thought of, surely.

Me personally, I'd be hard-pressed to survive OTB w/ out my Octatrack. It's my MIDI sequencer, sampler, outboard FX (chorus, flanger, phaser, reverbs, delay, filter, lofi, etc), and even wave tabley synth when loaded with single cycle waves. I'm not trying to sell you on one, just noting how valuable a multi-use piece of gear can be. It's about to take over some drum machine duties, too lol.

I would not purchase the Nord and the Blofeld at the same time unless you came across screaming deals. Pick one, learn it, and decide if you need/want the other still. I know from experience how overwhelming it can be to buy too much at once -squint
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Minimal Tech adventure out of the box, suggestions?

Post by NoAffiliation »

i'd suggest picking one synth in any of those software packages and learn it for a month or two and then make a decision.

and yeah, if you need hardware i'd personally reccomend getting analog sources and not VA's