Speakers - Quickie question....

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Speakers - Quickie question....

Post by AK »

I'm not really up on this kind of thing at all but how can I tell if I'd need an amp or not with this little dj mixer?

http://www.djstore.com/item/numdm950.htm

Basically, I have some Sony speakers of the Hi Fi type that I want to rig up as an alternative listening medium but don't have a separate amp. So I'm trying to cut corners and figure out the cheapest way to get these speakers incorporated in my set up ( I do not own the original Sony hi fi - speakers were bought separately )
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Re: Speakers - Quickie question....

Post by Themis »

dj mixers dont need an amp and cant replace an amp

you do need an amp for speakers.
if the amp is integrated into your speaker then you dont need a seperate one. if not you do need one.

you cant cut any corners here. if you have speakers without an amp integrated or external, you cant use them. doesnt matter which DJ mixer you have.

most hifi speakers need an external amp - but without knowing exactly what product you have there is no way to tell.

but i guess your question how to set it up without an amp, means that you need one. cause if the amp would be integrated, i guess you would have connected the speaker to your mixer already
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Thanks, yeah, looks like I need an amp then. Was trying to cut corners see.
dirddey_iddler
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dirddey_iddler »

yes themis is right.

good active speakers are a little bit pricey. you can run very fast in an open end direction of this!!!

i would recommended speakers from KRK or even used ones (KRK, Event etc.)

Check also Alesis M1 Speakers.
thomas101
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by thomas101 »

I would recommed the KRKs too. Before purchasing them I did a little bit of research and everywhere I looked was pointing towards them.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Nah, I have monitors, it was nothing to do with that. I also have a hi fi type pair of sony speakers I wish to add to my set up for an alternative reference etc and was wondering the cheapest way to go about it
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

I need a separate amp, that's the only way - but actually I found out I can use an aux on an old hi fi separate so gonna go that way. I just want to add the speakers to my set up, was nothing to do with monitors
dirddey_iddler
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dirddey_iddler »

sorry for misleading.

an used amp from hi fi system like pioneer, sony, etc. have A B speaker circuits, where you can connect 2 pairs of those.

To go via the AUX is possible, but you have two units running, may with different characteristics. so you have different speakers and different amps, may the expected reference is more sophisticated as transparent.

you can also try to connect 2 speakers on each output (L+R) port if your amp doesnt have the provision to connect 2 pairs.

But check your spec from the speakers and the spec from your current amp (matching impedances, lower watts).

do you have the specs from your system available?