Drum machine for making heavy kicks?

- ask away
dirddey_iddler
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Drum machine for making heavy kicks?

Post by dirddey_iddler »

Yes its the first one of the composer series.

I mean it was the only thing it worked after a kick.

Yes you are right, mostly you dont need a compressor on the kick.

A very nice one on the master is enough
Dal-Tech
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dal-Tech »

mehta wrote:If you want a dedicated kick machine, get an Mbase.
This is good for large annoying kicks.
Dal-Tech wrote: Everyone else is trying to be cool, not me.
hey everybody : I'm a douche !
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

Not a huge fan of Jomox kicks. Too boomy, too boinky, not enough presence or energy.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Barfunkel wrote:Not a huge fan of Jomox kicks. Too boomy, too boinky, not enough presence or energy.
They can't possibly 'all' be like that? I thought the whole point of the machine (mbase ) was to make your own kicks as you see fit?

I have a disk full of jomox kicks, some commercial and some kindly donated and there's kicks from a wide source on it. From 90's style House with a lot of 250hz presence to low subby 808 type to more 909 types and tons more. I was very much into smoother, more processed sounds before but my tastes have changed lately and I quite like the raw, more organic Jomox type sounds myself.
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

AK wrote:
Barfunkel wrote:Not a huge fan of Jomox kicks. Too boomy, too boinky, not enough presence or energy.
They can't possibly 'all' be like that? I thought the whole point of the machine (mbase ) was to make your own kicks as you see fit?

I have a disk full of jomox kicks, some commercial and some kindly donated and there's kicks from a wide source on it. From 90's style House with a lot of 250hz presence to low subby 808 type to more 909 types and tons more. I was very much into smoother, more processed sounds before but my tastes have changed lately and I quite like the raw, more organic Jomox type sounds myself.
Well, I used to own a 999 and I never got a truly great kick out of it, no matter what I did. Could be just me though.

I actually preferred the Vermona DRM1 mk 3 kick, even though it wasn't (in practice) as editable.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Ive never owned a jomox product so you're in a better position to judge than I am on that. To be honest, Ive never been happy with kicks right off drum machines full stop. I much prefer samples, maybe it's that I almost expect the drum machine to provide the right kick without any post processsing? Whereas with samples, I do more more stuff to them that wouldn't necessarily be accessible in a drum machine?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Barfunkel wrote:
Well, I used to own a 999 and I never got a truly great kick out of it, no matter what I did. Could be just me though.
you cant assume that the 999 kick is anything like the mbase. Its not.

your description in the previous post does not describe the sound i get from my mbase at all.

i compared the mbase 01 with my TR909 kick through a big system at a gig recently, and the mbase won hands down, much more presence, much more energy, much less boomy, no idea what boinky is.
you have to program it right

and i dont process it at all.
dirddey_iddler
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dirddey_iddler »

i had the 999 too, you need an eq and a compressor after it!!

i read about the mbase and what i read and check with demos, is that the mbase gives a much more detailed chance to get into a kick. A 909 without the mods frm colin fraser is more static and limited. i love my 909 and i bought it just for the overall specifications. But yes i like to use a DrumExpander triggered by the 909 too.

Since the mbase has also more parameters to get a kick you want the 909 will loose here of course.