Sampling Rate

- ask away
Toloache
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Sampling Rate

Post by Toloache »

Being strictly ITB i nerver worried too much about sampling rate, because for some reason i thought it would affect mainly sound recorded through the sound card, and many plugins have oversampling aniway. But the more i look into it the more i think i was wrong.

Im wondering, would a sampling rate higher than 44.100 improve the sound of flattened vst or resampled audio INTO the DAW? Should i worry about it even if i use only plugins and samples and i'm not recording anything from the outside?
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Sampling Rate

Post by Opuswerk »

Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Nice video....... Watched about 1/2 of it, will watch the rest later........

Didn't know that recording to tape gives you a 5-6 bit depth recording. And reel to reel 13 bit. :?

Anyway, I'm not sure the OP was asking that, I think what he means is if VSTi's sound better when you up the sampling rate of your DAW app/host during exporting of softsynths.
Toloache
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Toloache »

Yeah, nice vid, but like ak said, i'm not concerned about a/d because i don't record anything outside the pc, i only use soft synths. So im wondering if sampling rate makes a difference in sound, in particular when i flatten or resample the synths... In my workflow i do a lot of sample mangling, then i resample, then i change something and resample etc, so if sample rate distort the waveform everytime, i can see how this would affect SQ.. the question is, how much does it affect it? it's an audible difference?
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

Sample rate will affect the rate at which the VSTs are working, so the first recording you do should be at the highest you can. But if you re-sample a lot, you will add artifacts little by little, especially if you do a lot of processing each time you record.
From my experience, it is most audible on the lower frequency range. Else, it doesn't really matter imho.
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Here's what I do a lot..... I vary the sampling rate for specific purposes. ie: I think some software sounds better at say 96k instead of 44.1, like software bass sounds for example, I will record them to audio at 24/44.1 but during playback while I record, I will up the sampling rate - and to my ears, it greatly improves the depth and presence of the bass.

I also do this on other certain vsti's, namely, lounge lizard. I really notice a difference with that too. I've experimented in reverse too, I wanted a crunchy, dub style stab not long back and was using Reasons synths to make it. I dropped the sampling rate right down and the sound became very lo-fi and after a bit of post processing, it was exactly what I was looking for.

In terms of reduction, whether or not simply reducing the bit depth later equals the same thing, I have no idea but there's definitely a difference with softsynths when you up the sample rate.
Toloache
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Toloache »

Thanks :) that's the answer i was looking for! I suppose i will use 96000 from now on!
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

That guy in the video is a know it all moron with his ego overgrowing around his head and taking over his ears. Yes, you learnt to please your teacher and can now recite the Latin alphabet in full. Now, how does that apply to reality? Bit depth isn't just noise floor.