Help me with my levels

- ask away
Toloache
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Help me with my levels

Post by Toloache »

Hello, after some years of pause i restarted making music.. My girlfriend dumped me after a lot of time, and music is helping me! However, i haven't the best monitoring setup right now so maybe someone would check the levels of this track and tell me how they find them.
Right now, listening to it, i find the bassdrum is covered by the other sounds, and the shackers are way too high but the spectrum analyzer tell me exactly the opposite lol.

Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/toloachemnml/time-passes-slowly
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Help me with my levels

Post by hydrogen »

very cool song. shakers/highhats 3 - 5 db too loud for me. kick and bass become muddy together. seperate them some i think with sidechain or eq.

sounding good man.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Toloache
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Toloache »

Thanks man :) i end up everytime not finishing anything because i'm overcritic about my music, so i really appreciate the kind words.

I think i will re-do completely the hats, need to make them more groovy and laid back. The kick, i ended up substituting the 808 for a 909 transposed to g#, i think it cut through the mix better!

I'll send you the track when it's finished if you want, i don't dj so i'm only happy if someone would play or simply listen to my music,

Cheers
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

I had a listen mate. I like it too, probably not the best judge on mixes as I am listening through headphones, don't think the hats/shakers are too loud for me, slightly on the bright side but they don't leap out in a bad way or anything. The low end sounds ok through what I'm listening to. There's perhaps a lack of mix depth, efx and reverb I think. Almost like I don't feel a full sense of front to back if you know what I mean, everything seems very upfront.

Cool stuff... :)
Toloache
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Toloache »

Thanks for the listen mate!

Yeah, when i say i don't have the best monitoring setup it's because i'm mixing on headphones too, and also not the most transparent at it too :(

Right now i have all my synths and parts sorted, trying to carve a good sculpture from the stone so to speak. I have very very limited experience in arrangements, i passed the last three years doing loops without arranging them, so this is the reason for the lack of space i think.. i'm trying to think it through tough, i feel the track has some potential given the feedback im receiving so i will do my best to not ruin it ;)
Toloache
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Toloache »

My monitors.. lol in the worst position you can place them, against a wall, in the corner of the room. Unfortunately i can't put them in any other place, so i have to rely on headphones and a lot of A/B with other tracks!
Toloache
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Toloache »

Changed some things.. sounds better to me right now!

https://soundcloud.com/toloachemnml/tim ... ip-2nd-mix
mehta
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mehta »

I actually prefer the first mix. But you should do whatever seems right to you!