Don't You Just Hate It When......

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Don't You Just Hate It When......

Post by AK »

You are trying to write music that isn't dictated my any current sound and you're not trying to follow any kind of musical trend but suddenly, the music style you are doing becomes fashionable...

I've always been into my retro style House music and it's a massive influence on my music but now everyone seems to be making 90's style House.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Don't You Just Hate It When......

Post by oblioblioblio »

ignore it... the people chasing the trends will always be trend chasers.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

I would have thought that was a good thing? It means people will want to hear your music.
Phurniture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Phurniture »

Not to blow my own horn, but when I started producing tracks in the late 90s (Yes, I'm getting up there!) I loved house, techno and 80's electro. So most of my tracks had a house feel with bouncy, 80s style synthesizer basslines. One of my friends said "it's like electro mixed with house....I'd call it electrohouse". This was well before the term was coined! I was also getting into a certain type of more minimal house sound. I couldn't find anything that was all that similar to what I was doing, and being young and impressionable I was disheartened that my music was not really at all like what I was hearing out there.

Until...I heard some of the early PokerFlat releases (such as Martin Landsky's album and Hakan Lidbo's album). It was just like some of what I was doing! Sadly, I didn't really end up working on it that much or getting my music out there.

I then also heard the early Get Physical stuff and I was thinking, "this is also what I've been doing!" I emailed them about a demo, and they responded, but I got sidetracked and never sent them any music...